10| Tears and reunions ✔️

***

I never hate you for
not loving me anymore,
But
I hate myself for still
loving you.

***

It had already been a month since I left my pack. Since that time my life consisted of only running, eating and sleeping.

The sun was setting and I decided to stop for the night. I slowed down in the woods and began to look for a cave.

I didn't have to search for long, for I soon found one a few yards away. As the sun dipped below the horizon, I morphed into my human form and walked over to the cave and took a good look at it. A couple of bats shot out as soon as I stepped in, but apart from that it seemed satisfactory. Now all I had to look for was some firewood and a small stream.

I only had a vague idea of my current location. Somewhere close to the seashore. Judging by the salty tinge in the air, the sea could be around thirty to fifty miles from here.

Dragging a few branches scattered towards the entrance, I started a fire. As darkness fell, a chill settled in the air. I shivered, scooting closer to the fire. Unwrapping the last few slices of bread, I sat there, munching vigorously.

A low growl.

I stiffened. Every hair in my body rose as I rose. Shoulders tense, in the light of the fire, I scanned my surroundings.

Silence.

It couldn't be an animal. Wild animals were afraid of fire. So it had to be something else. Something more advanced, more intellectual.

"Rogues?" My wolf supplied.

No, I hadn't smelled any when I stepped into this territory. Rogues have a bitter aura around them, a projection of their innermost emotions.

Fists clenched, I braced myself for a surprise attack. I waited a beat, the sound of my own pulse harsh in my ears. I strained for the slightest movement. The crackle of wood as the flames consumed them, the rustle of leaves in the breeze, the hoot of an owl as it flew overhead.

But my heartbeats didn't slow.

Shifting into my wolf, I decided to leave as quickly as possible. Even trained, I was a lone wolf after all. Best not to start a war I can't win. Dousing the fire, I grabbed my backpack between my teeth and tried to blend in the shadows.

Unfortunately, white wolves aren't born to blend in. They stand out—loud and obvious. Sometimes, foolishly so.

I had just crossed a few yards when I heard a deafening roar. A ferocious brown wolf soared over my head and landed right in front of me.

The backpack slipped from my mouth.

Forced into a fight, I changed to defensive mode. However, the wolf in front of me made no attempt to attack. He didn't move a muscle, cocking his head as he eyed me suspiciously. I almost swore I saw his ear twitch.

I wasn't even breathing anymore.

Another growl sounded behind me. Instantly, I whirled around. This time, a grey wolf who stood crouched to attack. I felt a chill in my bones as I tried to maintain my composure.

Not for long, though.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw three more of them come up towards me.

I was surrounded. There was no way to escape.