24. Helpin' him out

The next morning, Birdy and I seem to wake up simultaneously.

It's the perfect time to ask her.

"Hey, Birdy," I say as I pull on my Gryffindor jersey.

"Yeah?"

"Who do you like?"

"Oh, um... I haven't really thought about that. I've been so focused on schoolwork and helping you with your... Malfoy boys... and..."

"Yeah, okay, whatever."

She smiles and I put my robes on. It still doesn't look right. But I wear the heels with it. And no-one has noticed!

I fix my black hair (yes, 2 days and he still hasn't figured it out) and grab my bag. I swing it over my shoulder and wait impatiently for Birdy.

"C'mon, I'm hungry."

"S'not my fault you didn't have dinner last night."

It's goddamn annoying when she does that.

I don't really mind. You sort of get used to it after 5 years.

She takes her bag and we stroll down the stairs to the Great Hall for breakfast.

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

Birdy's POV

During classes, I try my hardest to concentrate but I can't get that question out of my head.

Who do you like?

I know who I like. But it would be awkwardly weird trying to tell April that I like her brother.

Atomic bomb just dropped.

Yep. Her brother.

I know, I know, he's only a 4th year but he's not such a bad looking chap. He's quite tall too.

His glasses - oh my Godric, his glasses - are so cute.

They suit him quite nicely.

I might as well tell her. If we - this is a definite if, people - if we started going out she ought to know. 

April's POV

When we go to Herbology, Birdy stands next to me while we learn about some sort of plant that can rip eyes out.

"I know you've been thinking about it. You've been distracted all day," I whisper to her.

"I'll tell you who it is later. We're gonna get told off if we keep talking now."

"Ah, can you girls please focus?" says the teacher.

"Sorry, Professor Longbottom." says Birdy.

He continues talking, and throughout the lesson, Birdy shoots glances at me.

Worried glances.

At the end of the lesson, we go up to our dorm, because it's the last lesson of the day. We have stacks of homework, but I never usually finish it on time anyway.

She sits on her bed, while I sit on mine. She looks at me.

"So, you wanna know who it is, right?" she says.

"Of course. And whoever it is, I won't tell anyone."

Birdy's POV

I breathe out heavily.

"Okay," I start. "The guy I like is called..."

She sits with her eyebrows raised in wait.

"F-Frankie Finnigan."