Homecoming

Rage. She felt rage. How could she have been such a fool? How could she have let herself slip like this? Of course it was a trap, of course, she was a fool for trusting him.

How could he? How could he do this? Why would he do this if he claimed to care!? She was seeing red, her body tensing, her inner instinct telling herself to kill. No, it wasn't instinct, it was a rising loss of control that she felt tearing through her body, begging her to act.

"Forgive me." Mal0's voice was fogged out by the deafening sound of her heartbeat pounding in her ears, rage the only emotion she could make out. She stood in a hunched position, feral, hands shaking, an expression of murder on her inhuman face.

Until she heard the rifle and he opened his mouth, then she understood what was happening perfectly.

"Paulie, Paulie, Paulie. You know you can't just do things like that. What did you expect, a homecoming party and a sweet little pardon?" Dr Darren. Him.

"If you attack anyone, we will be forced to terminate. You've proven yourself to be a danger today." A vivid twisted smile crawled up Darren's face, he had waited for this day for a very long time. Perhaps at last he would find a way to avenge his father, get the rush of revenge and go do something with his life.

Paulie knew that wasn't going to happen. She knew that that wasn't how it worked, but poor poor darren was delusional. She was born here and would die here without a doubt, but here he was thinking that he could just walk away. No, in this moment she didn't feel anger despite her body telling her she should. She felt something far from
It. Something else.

Pity.

She straightened her posture, standing calmly like a person should, like a well collected human being. She hadn't realized how feral and irrational looked until now. Not even the crisp white lab coat that acted as a mask could contain this big of a wreck.

"I know that you're grieving, Abbington, but this isn't right." Paulie stood firm as the rifles pointed at her lowered in relief, much to his dismay. His rage grew.

"You have no right to call me that, murderer." He clenched his fists, shaking in place at the concept that such a monster could dare try and manipulate him. "Don't try and twist this, freak."

Paulie did not relent, eyes meeting with the armed guards who nodded their heads upon realization of what had to be done. She was right, and they didn't want to do this to her.

"You don't think I haven't suffered in this too? The foundation is my life, my death and my birth. I hate it, but I'd be worse off up there. I can't run away from my life... what my mom did and how she died, but..."

"YOU KNOW NOTHING!" He finally snapped, pulling out his pistol and firing point blank into paulie's head. "I'LL KILL YOUR ENTIRE GODDAMN FAMILY!"

Everything went black, but she could hear him struggling and screaming as she went.