Interview

It was deathly silent and illegally tense right about now. No, really. It was. This wasn't normal.

Paulie took the lead in entering the room, all four eyes locked on the single man sitting down waiting for them. The lighting in the room was ominous, making it pretty clear what the foundation wanted you to think in this space.

Darren followed closely behind, closing the door behind them when not being asked, but the man sitting and waiting for them didn't look all that upset about him doing so. Made sense, could probably have been done electronically. Darren saved him the energy it took to push a button. Higher ups were lazy. Lazy fucking cunts. 

"Take a seat." The man smiled, he had slicked back dark hair and a fancy foundation suit on, but it lacked anything that identified his name or status. They must have had a reason for that. There was something off about him though, his eyes. They didn't look real. Painted in perhaps?

"Bad eye day?" Paulie asked as she took a seat, Darren following suit and seating himself in a relaxed manner. He wanted to put his feet up on the table but Paulie shot him a quick glance and he got the point. Not the best idea in an interview like this. Was this even an interview? 

"Very skillful observation, 682-B. I cannot go into detail, but they aren't mine." He smiled, blinking. Darren scrunched up his face for a moment, gross. He wanted to get this over with. He was almost naked and only in a pair of shitty torn up pants, not to mention that the temperature in the room was cooler than outside.

"So. What's the deal?" Darren pried, crossing his arms and maintaining eye contact. Paulie hadn't said anything else. He looked to her for a moment, jerking his head away quickly. This wasn't very animalistic of her. She behaved well right now. Why?

Paulie sat quietly, patient. This was her only chance to have some respect, to gain something within the foundation. She ignored Darren, staring silently at the man. He looked back at her, nodding. "You appear ready. Focused even. Impressive. Allow me to brief you."

He cleared his throat, beginning his dialogue. He must have done this type of thing often, he seemed to know how to behave and stand.

"From the very beginning, you were unplanned to the foundation. The initial containment breach that resulted in your conception concerned us greatly, along with the increased feral behavior of your mother as you furthered in growth. By the time she delivered you... you know what we did."

"I was filled in on that. You poisoned her, right? Why?" Paulie responded, discomfort in her voice. They still killed her. 

"The truth is... she seemed to be able to alter and manipulate 682's behavior unconsciously, he became attentive to her, a complete contrast to his previous behavior. We were going to have to examine you post-birth. Her lack of humanity forced us to consider the fact that she could have forced 682 to become violent."

"Wait. Wait." Darren interjected. "Are you saying that the bitch that got my father killed was controlling 682? How does that even work?"

He nodded. "While it was not direct control, we are certain that a link between her requests was urging him to behave in a certain way. He became subdued. As you know from 682's file... that is strange. It has continued, but ever since we terminated her post-birth, his behavior had begun to transition back to his previous self. But we feel that it goes deeper. Much deeper."

Neither said anything. Then Paulie spoke. "...I don't have any control over him. If that's what you're thinking. Not that I know of." The man nodded, smiling. 

"Precisely. We have a theory. A theory that there was a previous link to 682, before your mother. One that perpetuated his rage and hate towards humanity and all living things. It is to our belief that your mother took that link over. It died with her. He may very well be acting on his own accord at this point in time." He explained.

"Or.. his nature was transferred to you. But that has been proven false." Paulie raised an eyebrow, nodding. 

"I hope it seems that way. I hope that's true. But what does this have to do with me? If he's 'freed' according to your research, he's still a Keter, i'm still a... Euclid? Isn't this a good position? Things are resolved. What am I designated at this point? I haven't been told." She leaned in a bit, he leaned back a bit.

"Safe." He smiled. Darren said nothing but inhaled deeply, holding his tongue. He had a reason to be upset. He knew he did. She knew he did too. 

But at the same time, he knew she didn't do anything to him personally. She's only ever hurt D-class in her younger days. He didn't want to change, he didn't want to think that he was wrong about the murder of his father. 

"Dr Abbington? Are you still listening? Please, focus." The man brought him out of his thoughts, he coughed and nodded. No free will, right.

"Sorry. Just get on with it." He mumbled.

The man stood up, much to the surprise of the two. "There are anomalous entities that are willing to work with us. There are entities comfortable with their situation- or capable of being comfortable. However, we cannot simply give these comforts. Those imprisoned are willing to play the long con to have a chance to breach containment. Be it a federal prison, or a containment cell. Do you understand?"  He began to pace, this was getting weird, heated, but serious.

"You want to give more opportunities for comfort to scp who aren't trying to hurt anyone? You're talking about some of the ones that could hurt people, aren't you?" Paulie spoke up, she saw where this was going.

"Precisely. Through interviews, tests, psychological examinations and other methods, we can gain a better understanding of them and internal motives that may be behind good behavior. Good behavior can be a lie. The unconscious does not lie. Of course, many of these entities cannot be approached in good faith." As he spoke, they listened closely. Taking note of his every word. This was going somewhere that they weren't quite sure of.

"People die. D class, researchers, so on. You however, Paulie, you are indestructible. You contain the same traits and properties as 682. Further testing is required to ensure those properties are at the same level, but we want to provide you with an opportunity."

He extended his hands forward, as an urge to shake them. "Both of you will be assigned to a new test group within the foundation. We have proposed this be known as the 'Cooperative Anomaly Ethics Ambassador' group. You will both be the first members. Of course... if this fails, expect nothing in your favor. You must prove yourselves to be capable of fulfilling our standards and trials. Do you accept?" The smile left, now he was serious. This wasn't a joke. This wasn't a trick... hopefully.

"Question, where do we go during this? Where do we stay?" Darren asked. This sounded better than death, he wasn't saying no. 

"You will both be sharing a class A living space. If this goes as we hope, neither of you will see any punishment. 682-b? You will never be placed in a containment cell again. Of course, if you chose not to go with this offer... we can simply apply amnestics and return you to previous positions." His voice grated the last part, his expression sharpening. He didn't want that for them, perhaps?

Darren reached out and shook his hand before he could even process what he was doing. Paulie looked to him, hesitated, and then shook his hand. 

"Do we have separate bedrooms?" She asked carefully in a semi joking tone. He shook his head and laughed. 

"No, but there are bunk beds. Good ones." To be fair, that was standard practice. Saved space.

Darren rolled his eyes, not what he wanted to hear but whatever. "I get the top bunk."