Fire team Retiree

"This whole time?"
"Bullshit. With the way he went after her...."
"She knows. This is it, isn't it?" We're fucked."
They weren't trained for this, this was uncalled for. How long had he put up this facade? He's just turned 19 a week ago, keeping this up since he had found out would take a shitload of brainpower.

The establishment staff were stuck to the discussion occurring between Paulie and Darren, the conversation continuing to pull at the lock of Pandora's box. Shit, they had objects and entities that worked like that, but they all knew that this would be something that wasn't anticipated.

The boy fooled them all. A fucking new hire, a kid who hadn't served long. All because his father got killed due to their actions, lots of people die! This wasn't different.

"What the hell do we do about this? We can't just let them talk!" Panic was rising, but you don't just walk into the containment cell of 682 and think that you deserve to live. They mulled among one another as Darren continued to spill the details to Paulie of her mother's death, 682 silently watching on. The boy was a smart one, he remarked to himself.

"We have to find a way to terminate them, or, something. Do we have any amnesiacs? We need the strong doses." One group begged for a quick solution, while the other...

"Are you stupid? 682 is a Keter class for a reason! We can't just go in there and shoot them out and expect him to want to cooperate! Security has been lowered because of his cooperation and Paulie, do you really think that this is going to work out for us!? Idiot!"

An aura of distress was intent on flaying the team's mind into nothingness, their lack of preparation for this was going to be the downfall. They argued, yelled, stressed, oh god, oh god, stop it. 

Are you all that stupid?

"I intend to speak with both of them personally."

A bony man who had been silent until now spoke up, positioned against the edge of a surveillance console in a tired, worn posturing

A bony man who had been silent until now spoke up, positioned against the edge of a surveillance console in a tired, worn posturing. His face was worn, evident failures to be clean shaven was visible through the uneven stubble on his chin and cheeks, sneering tired blue eyes and steel grey hair tired back into a ponytail. He had higher clearance than the rest of them, he was the one who managed this shit.

Dr, or Head Vortz was not the man you wanted to argue with.

Matter of fact, no one lifted a finger in his presence. He was once on one of the strike teams that went after the Keter threats. He always made it out alive, he had damage from the years of work but now he was on an ever higher point and could say one word and change the entire staff structure. Placed on the 682 team specifically because he had survived multiple encounters with it during re-containment. He was the expert. Every muscle movement, every hint, every threat. He had felt his way through the whole subject of 682's existence with his own two hands.
He knew what he was doing. He hoped. No one knew what they were doing. 

"Head Vortz, sir, how? We can get the loudspeaker on and, just, we can't trust them." The head technician of the zone interjected to his plan, giving what little advice he could. "We should wait it out, trusting them is suicide!" He begged. "You're not even in gear! Let's just.. Sir?"

"Bring it up to the 05 council then." He suggested with a flat tone. "I already did."

Vortz wasn't listening, instead he walked over to the controls, wordlessly opening the doors into the enclosure. "Do nothing. Do not interfere." 

Nobody was going to move, considering 682 had a straight path he could charge through at any given time.

-

"They're opening the gate. Are they insane?" Darren squinted, realizing that they were stressed about this, but...  "This is suicide." He stood up with a groan, his legs were still battered from the initial punishments. 

Vortz slowly walked into the enclosure, 682 towering above the small, unimportant man who had made himself a perfect target. How interesting that they would meet here after so long, like this. "I remember you. You did well surviving around me for a long time... interesting that you chose to do this." 682 chuckled, voice sending low rumbles through the facility. Vortz said nothing at first, but stopped and looked to the Keter.

"Yes. I did. This time though, I approach you as... myself. No one else." He knew what to say, because he knew what his intentions for this high risk operation were. "You know what I'm planning to do going forward, don't you? You could go for us at any time but you chose not to. I'm glad we can have some respect for one another like this." He concluded, resuming his route towards Paulie and Darren. 

"I don't know if you're stupid or just crazy, but you don't seem as cracked as most other facility members." Paulie relaxed, if her father wasn't trying to kill him or resent him then something was going on here. Darren decided to stand between Paulie and the approaching retired strike team member, he didn't mind going down first. 

"Don't try anything." He demanded, keeping a strong stance. "I know I caught you all off guard, but I can do more than that. You can tell that I planned for this whole thing to go down. I know you can." He snapped, still very much on edge.

Vortz was inches away from Darren, looking down at him and blinking before speaking. "Actually, we were counting on it. Now things can finally begin to progress." A tense pause. "That being said, it was very bold of you to just shoot her like that. Didn't think you would go that far... but I understand it." A compliment? Not what Darren expected.

"Now.. the truth. 682 is aware of what is going to happen, so is the 05 council." He started, Paulie interjecting and pushing Darren aside to face the man. Darren attempted to get back in front to protect her but she snapped at him to send a clear message. He scowled, standing aside, unnerved. He didn't trust Vortz.

"Just tell me the truth. That's not the kind of information I can expect from you or anyone, but I'd like to know what the hell I'm supposed to be in all of this." She balled her fists, she could kill him but she knew that wouldn't help anyone out. "I already know that my mother was offed on purpose, so what else was on purpose? Me? Me existing? The breakout?" 

Vortz shook his head. "The original containment breach that resulted in your conception was an outside attack, none of you was planned, but your mother was far too gone to be kept alive. It was a mercy killing. Her body would have been-"

"Details, details. Old friend, I suggest hurrying to the point. The reason." 682 poised himself, the rest of the team outside most likely collectively shitting themselves in response to their lowering chances of surviving. Vortz looked back to 682, aware of his blunder.

"Very well. I understand. Both of you. Darren, Paulie. You are now part of a campaign to modify the operations of the Facility as a whole. The council had been speaking about this for a long time, but now that they see the impact that your birth has created, we intend to ... use it for the greater good. I had to convince them on this for months before they decided to take it into consideration, and now, well... come." He turned around and walked towards the open gate, looking back at their unmoving forms.

"You really think i'll trust you on that one?" Paulie crossed her arms, this was too sudden to be a truthful proposition.

"Go with him." 682 jerked into a position of striking, letting out a violent snarl to give them no other choice. He wanted this for his sunbeam, he knew that her time had come. "I will tear you all into gore if you refuse!"

She looked back at her father, took Darren by the wrist and followed Vortz out of the enclosure, the gate closing behind them. She looked back one more time and could swear that 682 was smiling at her.