Reconcile

Warmth, comfort. A low hum, a purr.

Something slimy but comfortable. Feels familiar. Dad would do that- WAIT.

"Your body mends and our flesh crawls with it's perfection. Return to me, sunbeam." His voice was as scratchy and deep as ever, something that made her feel safe. Her head didn't hurt anymore, a matter of fact, she felt like new, like she had been reborn. She felt clean, clean in a sense of renewal, of recreation. She could not describe it but... she felt it.

Nested deep against her father, she slowly pulled back, opening her eyes to see that she was resting against his face. "He shot me." Was the first thing she could manage to say.

A soft, throaty hum left 682, eyes looking over her. "Yes... the fool. They threw him into our prison, over there. I saved him for you, so you could decide his fate." An urging tone, yes, she knew what he wanted her to do, yet... "Father." She stood up on two legs, examining his expression, hoping he would listen.

"Come close." She whispered, "Don't let him hear." He opened his maw, snapping it shut as Paulie climbed in, shutting out and sealing off her words from escaping and being heard by any devices, staff or the shaking boy in the corner.

They did this many times, and oh, it would piss off the researchers, but they weren't going to come any closer to find out what they were hiding. Only a suicidal individual or a fool would attempt to pry open 682's jaw... or do anything to Paulie in his presence.

"I know what he did, and his obsession towards me is horrible, but I think we can use him, use him to help us." She exhaled, hearing the booming reply flow over her body directly from the source. "You truly believe that this boy will side with us, in his madness and obsession to end us? Paulie, dear... you must think with clarity."

She scowled, how could he deny her attempts? They needed to try. She wanted them to at least see what was possible. "You have to let me attempt to speak to him. I know it's possible." She snapped back, a low laugh hitting her in response.

His words were laden with a scolding tone, his knowledge was much more refined than hers... so why did she feel like standing her ground on this? No. She had to try. She had to start asking the questions.

"...May I ask you something sensitive, father?" She held her breath, unsure of if he would take the bait and let this continue on, she hoped, she deep down wanted to beg him to start talking about... her. After a good pause, he decided to go along with her request. "Your mother. You desire to know more about her demise."

she nodded, a twinge of guilt stabbing at her side. She knew the story. "She died because of me." Paulie stared forward flatly into the darkness, knowing far too well what she was.

"She was murdered, Paulie. Her body was meant to withstand your birth. She was terminated."

She stood there without making a sound. That was impossible. The reports, what they explained. "You're lying." She balled her fists, realizing the implications of what he was telling her. "You're saying I could have met her." Impossible. He's lying. There was no way.

"I felt the toxins flowing through her system upon birth. Her lungs collapsing due to her womb? I played along because I saw what they tried to do, they desired to put her out of her misery. The ethics committee must have spoken to one another. She was going feral after all... but you were unharmed." 682's voice was slick with disappointment, not rage. He was disappointed, all too used to this happening beforehand.

"That's not true. It can't be." She shook her head, slamming against his maw and forcing open his teeth, ripping herself out of his mouth to leave their place of secrets. Foundation staff pressed against their observation windows, desperate to learn of the situation that was taking place.

She stared back at her father, shaking. At that moment, he spoke about his fallen mate for the first time in years, in front of those who didn't deserve to hear it.

"Ask the men staring down at us and they will tell you that your mother died naturally. Ask the council and they will set the truth free." Chatter could be heard from above, Paulie shook it off and slowly walked towards Darren. This was going to be in another incident report and she was going to make sure of it. He wasn't lying, was he?

"We need to talk, Darren." Her voice wasn't that of rage, but of greif.

"We've both been set up. The foundation killed us. Not you. Not me. Us." He turned his head, staring at her, tears streaming down his face.

"I know that. I've known for fucking ages." He choked. "Now I'm close enough to do something about it."