Chapter 1: Eh, School

Kayla

Hi, my name is Kayla Phillips. I just moved to New Orleans Atlanta from New York with my mom and dad. I'm an only child and my father the preacher of Trinity Baptist Church. I call it the TBC. I don't really like it here, it's really difficult to adapt to the smell of the city not being outside my window when I open it. I'll get used to it though.

"KAYLA BABY, IT'S TIME TO GET UP FOR SCHOOL, IT'S YA FIRST DAY!" My mama yelled from downstairs in her New York accent.

"OK, THANK YA MA!" I yelled back in mine.

I got up and brushed my teeth and took a shower, then I put on my bra, panties, and lotion, and walked to my closet where all my clothes were at. I put on my black tights and black pencil skirt with my white blouse and put my hair up in a tight bun with my clear stud earrings. Then I put on my white flats  and glasses, then grabbed my book bag and phone. I looked in the mirror and made sure I looked presentable for my first day. Then I went downstairs to the kitchen and kissed ma and daddy.

"You ready for ya first day Kayla?" Daddy asked.

"Yes sir." I said making sure I stood up straight like ma told me to do.

"You look really cute today." Ma said handing me a pop tart and a bottle of orange juice.

"I'm not trying to be disrespectful but ma and daddy, I can't stay and talk, I gotta go." I said.

"Ok sunshine, love you and I'll see you later!" Daddy said kissing my forehead.

"Ok, love you guys!" I said running out the door.

School was only a 5 minute walk away. I was walking down the sidewalk and somebody pulled up beside me in a nice car.

"Aye lil girl, what ya doin' walkin' ouchea by ya self?" A man asked rolling down the window.

"Well, if ya observe, you'll see I got my book bag on my back and I'm walking so apparently, I'm going to school." I said smartly but still walking.

"Smart mouth huh?" He asked.

"Nah, I just feel you ain't 'bout to be worth my time." I said sipping my juice.

"Get in." He said.

"Nah you a stranger, now you really strange if ya really think umma just hop in the car with ya." I said opening my pop tart.

"Nah I ain't gone bite, I won't touch ya." He said.

"So why I need to get in?" I asked biting my pop tart.

"Cuz, this block ain't safe for ya little girl." He said.

"Where you goin?" I asked.

"Same place ya goin'." He said.

"Oh, no thanks." I said walking faster.

School

I was in the hallway after getting my schedule. The halls were flooded with students. The bell rung and everybody started rushing through the halls. I grabbed my math books out my locker and was knocked over and I fell on my behind.