Chapter 1

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's fate. Maybe it's just simply, a horrible no-good very bad day. Either way, my brain isn't processing the large, red letter at the top of my exam. I have to squint at it for a good five seconds before I can read it. F. Excuse me? I am Jess Hollens, chemistry valedictorian extraordinare. I am not a failure. My fingers clench, crumpling the edges of the thick paper.

"Mr. Barnes?" I call out tentatively. Mr. Barnes turns slightly, the top of another student's test facing me. Well, they managed a B.

"What?" He asks in that gruff tone of his. He doesn't like to be interrupted. Not that he was talking, of course. Why he hates everyone, I've never been sure.

"I have a question about my—"I start, but he cuts me off.

"After class." He says. Some people stare at me, but I'm used to that. I hear what they say, and I don't care. They need to learn that one incident in second grade shouldn't affect me now.

The seconds on the clock seem to stop, and when I look back again, I swear we went back a minute. When the bell finally rings, I haul myself out of my desk and wait for the rest of the class to file out.

I approach Mr. Barnes' desk, a little nervous. Mr. Barnes isn't necessarily a "nice" guy. I dig my fingernails into my palms as he looks up at me, his eyebrows raised in question as if to say, spit it out already.

"How is it possible that I got an F on this paper, Mr. Barnes?" I ask, pointing to it, even though I can tell he knows what I'm talking about. He studies me for a long moment.

"You didn't answer the questions, Miss Hollens. Now, if you don't mind—"He starts to say.

"What do you mean I didn't answer all of the questions? You know me, Mr. Barnes, and this must have been rigged! Maybe it was Laila, or someone else trying to get revenge—"He shushes me before I can even finish.

"I'm sorry, Miss Hollens, but you just didn't do very well this time." He interrupts, though his facial expression says otherwise.

For once, I am at a loss for words. I studied so hard for that test, and I remember checking every single page for an error or a potential mistake. I checked everywhere. How could I not have answered the questions? I open and close my mouth a couple times, but I can't seem to figure out what to say.

"But—" I stutter out.

"Good day, Miss Hollens." He says and turns back to the papers he's grading, a silent order to get out. Before what, I wonder? Will he call the hall Nazis? The principal?

I sigh and slowly walk out the door, lingering a bit before finally leaving. I resist the urge to slam it behind me. I tuck a strand of my rusty red hair behind my ear and pause about five steps away from the chemistry classroom. Something catches my eye. I lean against a wall, ignoring those jerky few who think it's totally okay to shove people around. I flip through the exam, and I'm shocked senseless at what I see.

All of the questions are blank. None of them have been answered. It looks just like it does when it was first handed to me. I remember doodles I had made on the back when I was finished, and numbers and equations taking up pages. But this test is completely blank.

I frantically flip to the front of the packet. This is what startles me the most. My name is still on it. Jessica Hollens, written in my large, loopy handwriting.