Chapter 33

I'm not as strong as I make myself out to be, Jess. Alix's last words repeat themselves in my mind over and over until I'm somehow lulled into a deep sleep. It isn't until now that I really notice the full extent of my exhaustion, which is no doubt why when Liz wakes me up, I bury myself even deeper under the covers.

"Up and at 'em." She says, her voice high and...excited, though I have absolutely no idea why she would be. 

Throwing my arms across my face, I groan loudly. I keep my eyes pressed tightly shut. "Is it daytime already?" I ask.

"Yep, rise and shine, Princess." Alix's voice breaks me out of my stupor. All of last night comes rushing back to me. I had hoped it was a dream, but how foolish of me to think so. Even so, if he's at all worried about what he told me last night, he's doing a great job of hiding it. 

"Why can't I sleep for another..." I pause. "Twelve hours?"

I hear the sound of Alix chuckling lightly from somewhere across the room. "Because I'm hungry sweetheart, and Liz has come up with the amazing idea to go out for breakfast."

~

The restaurant we settle on, after Alix and Liz finally haul me out of bed and years of endless bickering, is titled Oscar's Café. The place is filled to the brim with people talking and laughing, which makes it quite obvious that this is the place to be on a Sunday morning. With the sun shining brightly through the windows and the snow on the edges of the sidewalk glittering under the light, it's quite beautiful.

I'm squished into a small booth next to Alix, with Liz hogging the other side. You're a stick, Jessica. I, on the other hand, need my space, she had said.

The sound of a waitress's high voice breaks our awkward silence.

"How may I help you today? Can I get you started off with some drinks?" Her voice has a strange accent, but I can't pinpoint what it is. But it's like Alix is reading my mind. Again. 

"Are you Irish?" He asks, his eyes watching her with genuine interest. Liz looks at me, eyes wide with surprise. Her expression says it all. Did you know he was a pro at world languages? I had to say that I agreed with her. I can't tell an Australian accent from a British accent for the life of me.

"Yes!" The waitress's eyes sparkle, as if Alix's words were a compliment. "I was born in Ireland." That explains the strawberry colored hair and the rusted green eyes, then. Alix smiles back at her like quite the gentleman. Liz breaks the awkward silence. "Um, we'll just have waters, thanks." There is something tight in her expression that I can't read, but it's gone just as abruptly as it begins. As the waitress leaves, Alix leans his elbows on the table and looks at the both of us, his eyes full of amusement.

"Is there a reason you have to flirt with everyone you meet?" I ask, pushing a strand of hair away from my face. So far, no one has asked about the blue hair, and it's a relief, seeing as I don't know how I'd explain it.

"Why does it matter?" He asks.

"You just answered a question with a question."

"Did I?"

"Are you always an idiot, or just when I'm around?"

"Only you, Princess. Only you." There is a pause, before he continues. "But does it really matter why? Did you ever think that maybe I am a charming, merciful, handsome young man?"

"No, it didn't cross my mind." I respond blandly.

"I know what it is." Alix holds up a pointer finger excitedly. "You're jealous."