Chapter 14

I yelp, surprised at this stranger's sudden appearance. It's a girl, dressed in black leggings, black knee height lace-up combat boots, and a black sweatshirt to match her pin-straight, shoulder-length raven black hair. She practically radiates all things dark and evil. Along with at least three piercings in each ear, and one in the nose as well, I'm pretty freaking sure I shouldn't get on her bad side for fear of getting stabbed with one of them. She looks our age, and if not, then a little younger. But she could pass for possibly eighteen or nineteen with all of the bling she's got going on.

Alix immediately stands up straighter, and I know I'll have to speak first before he goes off and says something we'll both regret. His idea of asking questions is the equivalent of flirting. I can practically see him drooling at her appearance.

"Who are you, why did you follow us, and what do you want?" I ask firmly, my mouth pressed into a thin line.

"So many questions." She says, bobbing up and down on the balls of her feet. She looks almost... excited. "But if you must know, my name is Liz, and you may not call me anything else. I followed you because I know who it is you're looking for, and I want nothing but a part in the action. Who are you?"

I stop listening as soon as she says I know who it is you're looking for. How can she know who it is we're looking for? Has she seen something? My back stiffens, and I don't even realize I'm squeezing the circulation out of Alix's arm where I'm gripping it with my fingers until he struggles under my grip.

"I'm Alix, and this lovely ray of sunshine is Jess." Alix says, before casting his gaze to me. "Let's keep walking and get as far from the edge of the forest as possible, and we can interrogate her there. Okay?" Alix suggests softly, prying my fingers off of his arm.

We shouldn't allow her to come with us. In fact, it's a stupid idea to even converse with her. I can picture it now: cold, hard betrayal. But I don't want to wait. I don't want to wait another damn second without my parents. It makes me sound like a two-year old, sure, but you never know how much you miss something until it's gone. I'm not the only one here, and I can't say this is all about me, so I let out a sigh and shove my fingers in my pockets, nodding my consent.

"Does that mean I get to keep her?" Alix asks, shooting me the goofiest and dorkiest grin I've ever seen.

I roll my eyes at him. "Fine, whatever." I say halfheartedly. "As long as I don't have to carry her leash." Then, I turn to Liz. "Don't kill him. I kind of need him." I say nonchalantly.

"You got it, Princess." She says with a wink. I don't even flinch at the stupid nickname.

The next thing I know, I'm walking down the path, trying desperately to ignore Alix's bantering.

"See? She needs me." I hear him say from behind me.

"Sure as hell she does." Liz replies, for no other purpose than to humor Alix.

Their conversation drowns out eventually, and the only sense I have left is sight. I used it to my advantage, moving quickly and swiftly through the forest, all of my thoughts getting shoved aside for the time being.

~

I don't realize how late it is until the waning orange light of the sun shining through the cracks in the trees blinds me, causing me to hold up a hand over my eyes in a vain attempt to shield the light. The path we've been following is covered in snow, our boots leaving deep footprints as we trudge through it. After another couple minutes of walking, the line of trees opens up into a small clearing. There seems to be enough cover overhead, and we shouldn't go any farther. It will be dark soon, and because it's winter, it will get darker and colder faster.