Chapter 28

Hey! Just a heads up that this is a FLASHBACK CHAPTER, meaning that it will be from a previous point in time in this book.

Long story short: It's from Alix's POV.

Just wanted to let y'all know so you're not confused lol.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man, do I love parties. I've been to few, but I've been to enough to know that they're unique in their own special ways. For instance, where else are you going to be able to pretend like you're someone else? When in your life are you going to get the chance to dance with strangers? There are so many different characteristics of a party, and I've always loved every single one of them.

And here I am, in the middle of a crowd of civilians... at a party. To be quite honest, I'm not used to being a Lucas. I've been so many people because of my "occupation" as a thief. I've been a Ferdinand, a Gerard, an Otis... heck, I've even been an Adolf. My thievery has brought me to all sorts of different places, all under different circumstances. All of my other code names have rolled right off the tongue, yet something about my most recent name....

Lucas.

I don't know what it is about it, but I don't feel like a different person. I feel like the same Alix Black I always was, but with borrowed clothes and dyed hair. Sometimes that's the fun of it; being in new skin and acting the part. But this time, it just seems bland and repetitive. Like some songs on the radio these days.

Also, ever since the makeover at Big Hairy Harrison's place, Jess hasn't been looking at me the same way. I've always been good at reading faces... and I only got better as my career as a thief increased, and Jess is usually an open book. It's obvious when she's upset, because there will be lines under her eyes and her shoulders will slump. It's evident when she's excited, because she'll practically be vibrating in place, and she won't be able to stop smiling. I've only known her for about five days, and so far I've been reading her pretty well, but lately... well, she's been a blank slate. I'll be looking around, or squinting at something, and a look will come over her face. It disappears as soon as it arrives, but the flicker of something passes over her when I'm acting especially nerdy. I haven't figured it out yet, but the answer is on the tip of my tongue.

I've had so much experience reading others, but I can't read one simple girl. Just goes to show how confusing the female race is.

Someone bumps into me from behind, resulting in a domino effect. The person in front of me swears colorfully, causing some dirty glances to be thrown their way. This is a party, dude. Relax a little.

It takes me ages to maneuver around everyone, and when I finally do, I find that I'm not where I expect to be. Several bar stools sit in front of me, all of them occupied except for one. How coincidental. It's like it's calling my name.

As if reading my mind, a young man, who looks to be about my age, walks up to the counter and meets my eyes from the several feet between me and the stool. I remember what Jess said to me before dispersing. We're not here to go crazy, Lucas, we're here for answers. It doesn't matter though. I've never really been one to drink.

The bartender gestures for me to come up to the bar, and I discover, to my surprise, that I obey. It's like he's magic, and he's using a persuasion spell to lure me over there. Nothing good comes out of persuasion, I've realized.

Nothing.

But sooner than I think, I'm sliding onto the cushioned stool and leaning against the counter.