Chapter 17

Thinking before acting is wisdom, but acting before thinking is regret.

My mom used to say these exact words to me at least once every week. And it's probably what I should be thinking. But instead, the first direction my brain gives my body is to follow the tracks. Forget about Alix and Liz, and get out of these woods before I slowly die of insanity. Getting out of these woods means freedom. But it also means answers.

Alix is smarter than he looks, and he grabs my arm. He knows that this could be the turning point for me.

The last flicker of light from a dying candle.

"I know." Alix says, his fingers digging into the soft flesh of my arm. "I know. But we can't leave Liz, and we won't survive another night without supplies. I promise you, we will find them. I'm a man of my word, remember?"

I do remember. The night we met was the night I accepted the deal to keep his identity a secret. It is only now that I really understand how much of a risk he's taken for me. Part of the reason I've been so reluctant to trust him is because I don't want to have to deal with the pain that comes with betrayal. I learned that the hard way, what with Bayley and Jax.

I let out a long breath, before focusing on him rather than the tracks that could lead straight to my parents. "Okay."

My answer seems to ease some of Alix's worry, because his shoulders slump in what I can only assume is relief. "Okay?" He asks again, as if unsure of the answer I gave him.

"Okay." I respond firmly. My mind has been made up.

~

Back at camp, I plop down on a stump as far away from Liz as I can manage without jumping off of Earth. This girl seems like the kind of person who can hold a grudge until the last Star Wars movie. And I'm not sure I even want to know about her temper...

"So, a thought crossed my mind." Alix says, trying to break the awkward silence.

"Must have been a long and lonely journey." I say, placing my chin in the palm of my hand.

"Thanks for the self-esteem boost, Fireball. I think you gave me a little too much heat on that one, though."

"Sorry." I say shrugging. "But you walked right into that one."

Alix rolls his eyes. "As I was saying, we aren't going to be able to survive out here in the cold for long if we don't have proper supplies. Here's what I propose. We sneak into one of the stores tonight, grab what we need, and voila! Another of my fabulous plans completed."

I snort. Alix shoots me daggers, and I resist the urge to pat him on the head like a dog.

"I know a thing or two, if y'all would switch your attention to a different perspective." Liz says, playing with a lock of her hair, the look of pure boredom fogging up her features.

Reluctantly, Alix falls silent and we both look at her with matching looks of question.

"Look. I've had my fair share of getting in trouble. You two don't even know the extent of it. I'm not just some emo-chick who goes around to freaking bars with a fake ID. We clear?"

Alix and I nod, eager for her to continue her thought.

"I've broken in to plenty of places, so you're going to need my help. First, I hope you're both not stupid enough to sneak in during the day."

"Hey." Alix says, pretending to be offended. "This isn't preschool. We know what we're getting into, sunshine. Continue?"

Liz looks miffed at the term of endearment, and I get the feeling that the next time he's stupid enough to call her 'sunshine' again, I'll be digging a grave.