Chapter 2

I shove the chemistry exam beneath all of my other papers. How am I going to explain this to my parents?

I almost run right into his chest. I'm about to say, move or I'll move you, when I realize it's Jax. My frown turns into a smile.

"Hey." I say. "What's up?"

He doesn't smile back, nor does he say anything except, "Come with me."

I frown slightly. "Jax, can't this wait? I have American History in five minutes."

He shushes me. "Just come with me. I have something to tell you."

I study him with worry in my eyes before nodding. This must be important. He seems desperate. But what could be going on?

He leads me to the janitor's closet, and he quickly shoves me in. I whirl around, confusion clear in my voice.

"Jax, what is this?"

"Calm down. I needed to tell you something in private." My features soften. It's only my boyfriend wanting to scare me.

"What is it?"

He turns around and locks the door behind us. When he finally faces me again, I see a hint of guilt edging his features. What could he possibly have to be guilty about? This is Jax we're talking about.

"I ... don't think this is working." He says, his eyes aren't quite meeting mine, staring just past me, as if the dirty mop hanging there was worth a million dollars. My heart practically stops.

"What's not working? Did you not get accepted to--" I ask, my voice filled with confusion.

"You know what I mean, Jess. We're not working out." He runs his hand through his hair, something that turns me on every time.

"Since when? Was it me?" My voice turns from confusion to hurt. Just yesterday, he called me to tell me that he missed me and wanted to hear my voice.. Last week, he sat down excitedly at my lunch table to tell me a joke his buddy Lane told him. We've been dating for almost a year. Or should I say, we'd been dating. I expect the whole it's not you, it's me thing. That's so cliché, yet not so unlike Jax.

He sighs, before finally meeting my eyes. "I'm sorry Jess, but we're over." He opens the door and walks away, leaving me standing inside the small, dark room. I hug my books tightly to my chest before running straight to the bathroom, not even caring who saw me. Let them see me. It's not like they've never seen anyone cry before. I can't believe it. Jax broke up with me. Just like that. With a couple of exchanged words and hard looks, our relationship was destroyed. But why?

Feel free to leave comments, advice, and the like down below. I should be posting the next several chapters daily!