Chapter 24

Durango. Never in my life have I been so grateful to see a city. Adrenaline instantly punches its way through my veins. The words cruising through my mind are impossible to get rid of.

Sleep. Actual sleep.

Shower. I won't smell like literal crap anymore.

Warmth. No more of this terrible winter.

Food. My stomach won't bother me anymore.

Water. This won't be the next Hunger Games.

Liz and Alix have got to be thinking the same thing, because Liz absentmindedly lifts the backpack whilst simultaneously staring at the city ahead.

"It's like Heaven." She says, mouth agape.

"I agree." I say. I'm suddenly craving a cheeseburger.

"I would say 'me three' but we have a tiny little eensy weensy problem." Alix says, his words cutting a knife straight through my excitement.

"What do you mean?" I question.

"I mean that the both of us just so happen to be wanted criminals."

Oh. Alix really knows how to ruin a mood. Out of the periphery of my vision, I notice a strange look pass over Liz's face.

"That's an easy enough problem to fix." Liz cuts in. "We'll just disguise ourselves. No one would be able to tell the difference."

"But wouldn't people walking around in masks seem a little suspicious?"

Liz meets my eyes with a smirk. "Oh, sweetheart. We wouldn't have to wear masks."

~

"Explain this again. You know a guy who knows a girl who knows a dog who knows a fish who knows a man named Steve who specializes in... makeup?" Alix asks, his face scrunched in obvious confusion.

Liz lets out a long sigh. "Are you always this-- never mind. No. One of my foster parents knew a guy who specializes in disguise. He's dressed up some famous celebrities on set for movies. They brought me to meet him one time."

"And this guy would totally be okay with disguising two wanted fugitives?" I ask.

"Oh, yeah. He's great."

"I don't know..." Alix says, biting his lip nervously. "How do you know Steve won't take one look at the reward money and turn us in?"

"First off, his name is Harrison, not Steve, and he won't. I just know it."

I just know it. Well, that's promising. Not. I trust Liz well enough, but if we get caught now... we'd be in deep deep doodoo. I look her over, testing her for any signs of betrayal. Who knows? She could be working for the people who took my parents, and she's just tagging along for the ride. Maybe she's getting paid to appear nice and cuddly and full of solutions.

No. Why are these thoughts even entering my brain? I've already doubted her once, and that resulted in a shouting fest. No. I trust her. It might not be the best idea, but I trust her.

"Okay." I say, letting out a breath. "I'm in."

Liz and I both cast Alix a long sideglance. He takes one look at the both of us and throws up his arms in exasperation. "Well, I don't really have a choice then, do I?"

Neither Liz or I say a word, but my mouth is twitching upwards and she's struggling to keep down a smirk.

"Okay, okay. I'll go." He cedes.