Chapter 16

"Life is a reward given to those who are strong enough to accept it. Life is in everything that we've ever known as humans. Life is in the steps we take, the air we breathe, the risks we take and so much more. Do not for one second doubt that what we are doing is right. Sure, we have had to make plenty of risks, but in the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take. And only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

There is a smattering of applause from the audience, along with cheers from those incredibly supportive few.  

"This is what I like to hear, my fellow Americans. You may think that I am, to put it simply, copying the words of other great achievers, but there has always been more to it than that. For what would be the point of all we have accomplished without sacrifice?"

"None at all, sir!" A young man calls from the audience, causing the voice to laugh.

"You are correct. There would be no purpose. Look at what we have done, my people. Look at what we have created. To create something this complex with only twelve errors in the making? This may break the world record, if there is one."

"But, sir." An older woman's voice calls from the back row. "We are not entirely sure that there have only been twelve errors. The current subject is still undergoing experimentation."

"Yes, yes. Technically, this is true. But have you not seen how close our Subject 13 has gotten us? Do you understand exactly how close we are to uncovering the cure?"

The old woman does not speak, for her question has been answered. But that is not the last of the ones who still have doubts.

A gruff sounding man speaks from the front row. "Sir, we are still waiting for Experiment 13B to be completed and ready for action. What's to stop her from--"

"Actually." Someone in the second row, dressed in white, interrupts. Normally, an action that disrespectful is punished, and surely this young scientist must know that. But the only reason someone of their status would interrupt is to say something important. "We have already perfected 13B, and are waiting for approval. Sir?"

The auditorium is silent. One could hear a pin drop in the back row from the stage.

The voice clears his voice before speaking again.

"Meeting dismissed. Scientists, show me what you have prepared."

~

The computer room barely has any walls that are plain. Codes and jumbles of numbers and letter fill up monitors and monitors of computer screens. One of which takes up one of the whole twenty foot  wall spanning the far side of the room. Inside, exactly fifty-seven scientists shuffle around the room, tapping on various computer screens, or stopping to type something in.

"You see, sir." A young woman says, lifting up a clipboard from a table near the center of the room. "According to the data we have collected, subject thirteen has successfully reached the breaking point. We have picked up video camera footage from PFC, which proves our success with Experiment 13A, the mental challenges."

"You don't plan on the complete closure of Experiment 13A, do you? Our subject thirteen has only suffered about one percent of the possible mental crises one can endure." The voice asks.

"Oh, no. We can guarantee that we will still be collecting data for Experiment 13A, but our main focus will be elsewhere. In this case, elsewhere is Experiment 13B, the physical challenges." The scientist explains.

"Ah... the physical challenges. What progress has been made where the cure is concerned?"

The scientist smiles. "I've been hoping you'd ask that question." With a few taps to a tablet on a table nearby, the computer on the wall projects a series of graphs and data. "As you can see in the upward sloping lines of these graphs, our studies have progressed immensely. We already see a difference between this subject and the other twelve. We predict that we will only need to perform Experiment 13C before the answer is discovered."

"This is great news." The voice says, with a hint of pride. "I have trained you well, my scientists. However, it is not safe to assume that all will go as planned. We must always leave room for mistakes. Do not get me wrong, I have faith in every single one of you."

"Is there anything else you would like us to do for you, sir?" The scientist asks.

"No, that will be all. I will be back in five days for the next report."

"Yes, sir."

With that, the voice waves his hand dismissively, and steps out of the room, leaving the awed scientists and the research in his wake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this answered some of your questions. If not, maybe it gave you more. All will make sense in time, my young readers. Please comment below on your thoughts and feels. Also, make sure to leave feedback and vote if you want more. Thanks ;)

~trebleclef18