Chapter 37

The song above is amazing, please listen to it! And yes, of course it is from Shadowhunters. The lyrics accurately describe what the characters may or may not be feeling. *insert evil laugh* Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Experiment POV: 

"Where am I and what do you want with me?" The boy is young, younger than expected. Blond hair curls around his ears and his face is lined with grief, as if he knows true pain. Once he sees the smoke room and what it can do, he'll think differently. The smoke room is the only thing worse than death.

"Did you know," the voice says, completely disregarding the boy's question, "that there is a cure in the making for every disease ever feared?"

The fear in the boys' eyes fades a little. It is replaced with confusion. The boys' eyes are brown, a strange color for someone with such fair hair. "W-what do you mean 'a cure?'"

"Have you ever thought about oblivion?" The voice says, rather than answering the asked question. The boy slowly nods. "Are you scared of it?" The boy is silent for a moment before speaking.

"I-I'm not sure whether I should be. Personally, I've always thought there is something beyond oblivion, and then one can never actually die forever—"

"Oh, child." The voice laughs. "Surely, you must be more mature than to believe in something after death. At least, you'll regret the assumptions you made now when you're lying on your deathbed and everyone you love is dead." The voice snaps coldly, and the boy goes rigid, muscles tensing. He truly is beautiful, as if chiseled out of stone. That will change after he's endured some hardship.

"You brought me here." The boy's voice is no longer shaking. "So if you were just going to give me a life lesson, then why bring me here at all?"

"Believe it or don't, but you are vital to the work we do here, you just may not realize it yet." The voice replies.

"And I don't get to know why I'm here for...what reason?"

"Because it is better for you to be ignorant about the matter. Tell me, what is your name, boy?"

The boy looks up finally, and the hurt and pain in his eyes almost causes the voice to want to grant him mercy. But like this boy, the voice has endured pain too, and has endured it far too much to feel any sympathy for this one child...a clueless one at that. "Jax." He says.

"Welcome to headquarters, Jax." The voice says, smiling an evil grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jess POV: 

I guess I fell asleep. Either way six hours later, Alix, Liz and I are awakened to sharp chains that cut into my wrists like tiny knives. 

"Where are you taking us?" I ask, but all I get is a blank look from the police officer, and I only get to watch in awe as he reaches into his pocket, pulls out three pieces of black silk, and ties them tightly around our eyes. I can't triangulate our location if I can't see...this must have been very carefully thought out. 

It's all I can do to keep my mouth shut and try to walk in a straight line, which isn't difficult when the police officer is practically dragging me behind him with a vice-like grip around my arm. There's no doubt there are fingernail marks indented in my skin from the tightness.

My boots suddenly are no longer stepping on grass, but hard floor that causes every step to ring and echo back to me. I strain to feel the presence of Alix and Liz beside me, but they've been strangely silent. A part of me wonders if they have been taken their separate ways, or if they're smarter than I am and decided to keep their mouths shut.