Chapter 11

"No. I don't know where the locket came from. I don't know how much it's worth, and I'm not sure whether the clerk at the pawn shop will know my grandfather. How many times do I have to say it? I. Don't. Know." I say to Alix, annoyed.

An hour before, he finally coaxed me away from the exit, but he didn't have to use much persuasion. It was simple. If I tried to run, I would die. If I said no to the deal, I would die. So I hadn't tried to run and I said yes to the deal. Piece of cake. Even though he said he wouldn't kill me, I still have my doubts. He's an arrogant teenager. Anything could happen. Even though he has kept his word so far, I'm still hesitant and cautious around him.

In the meanwhile, Alix has tried every tactic imaginable to try and get some more information out of me. I've told him 'I don't know' so many times, that if I have to say it again, my head will explode. Maybe that will be a relief.

"Okay, okay, Fireball. Calm down before you start steaming." He says, holding out his hands as if to say, peace? Friendship?

We move to the general area where he's been living for the last week, a little corner in the store, and it's surprising.  The area is protected by a bunch of tables and shelves, so as to provide for defense against anyone who might come tromping in. A backpack lies against a table leg, and a sleeping bag is spread out on the floor. Various supplies are scattered around randomly, and when I enter his little shelter, it does kind of feel like a temporary home. Of sorts.

"Like my little bedroom?" Alix says, catching my expression.

I nod. "It's nice." I admit. "Where did you get all of this stuff?" I spot a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush on one of the dusty shelves. At least one boy out of the entire freaking universe cares about their B.O. I shouldn't jinx it, though. I still have yet to find deodorant.

"Did you seriously just ask that question?" Alix raises an eyebrow at me, and I raise mine right back.

"You stole a tube of toothpaste." I say, deadpanning, my voice skeptical.

"No, I strolled along to the nearest Walmart and paid for them after asking the cashier how her day was going--yes, I stole them." He says. "You got a problem with that?"

I say nothing, before sitting down. Forgetting about my injury, I plop down on the ground, using my arms for balance. Mistake.

"For the love of--" I let out a string of vile profanities before cradling my injured arm to my chest, tears springing to my eyes.

I expect Alix to laugh. In fact, I think he's on the verge of hysteria. But he pulls himself together and sits down next to me.

"You know, while I've been on the run constantly, I have picked up a few tricks." Alix says, his eyes on my arm. "I can relocate your arm for you, and by tomorrow, it should be brand new."

I almost snort. Almost.

"You really are ignorant to think that I would let you touch me after kidnapping me, and threatening me with your knife, and--" I start.

"I thought we'd gone over this." Alix says softly, his bright blue eyes staring into mine with cool intensity. "I. Don't. Kill. Got it?"

I can't. I look away from his gaze. He's right. There's no way I can deal with my arm for much longer.

"Do it," I say. "Before I stab myself."

Alix motions for me to lie down, and, hesitantly, I obey.

"Put your arm out at a ninety degree angle."

Well. What he's planning to do isn't easy sailing, apparently. Actually, now that I think about it, my boat sunk before he even offered to fix my arm.