Chapter 8

My heart is pounding, and in a few seconds, I'm sure it will burst. I have no reason to believe this woman. For all I know, she's just some poor lady praying that maybe if she pretends to be an Oracle, then people will leave tips or something. But she knew my name. Nevermind. All I want to do is get to this blasted pawn shop, and then get off these crowded streets.

I pull my hands out of hers abruptly, stepping back.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just going to go..." I say, slowly backing up, this time being careful not to run into any people. The woman's expression turns to shock.

"You are in danger! An unspoken evil is upon you, and you must face it!" She yells after me. Her voice rings in my ears and I wince as my head starts to throb. Then, the woman starts screaming. Her scream cuts through me like a knife. It's an earsplitting noise that makes me press my fingers into my temples, hard.

I take off running, and I don't stop. People stare and scowl at me as I push past them, desperate to get away from the old woman and her screams.

I run until I'm too exhausted to keep going. I run until my hair sticks to my forehead with sweat despite the cooling temperature. I run until the passing shops and people turn into a blur of fading color, and I'm not sure exactly where I am. I run until I'm confident the old woman is in my past.

After what seems like eternity, I slow, air whooshing back into my lungs all at once, catching me off guard.

I bend over, my hands pressed against my thighs for balance, taking deep uneven breaths.

Suddenly, something dark rushes past me. A smudge of black out of the periphery of my vision. I turn around, and scan the area.

There's an empty alleyway to my right, and fairly abandoned sidewalks. The sun is almost completely covered in darkness, and the few people still on the streets keep their heads down and bustle down the sidewalks, keeping to themselves. Nothing suspicious. Then why does it feel like two eyes are boring into the back of my head? Am I being followed? It's not unlikely. Who knows how many creepy pervs are creeping around these parts at this time of night. The thought sends shivers down my spine.

This part of town is where all of the old, going out of style shops are kept; the ones that have been in this town for years.

The wind bites at my face, chilling the tip of my nose and my cheeks. Now that it's dark, I find myself tensing at every sudden movement.

There.

I see something. The form of a person sliding behind a wall.

I hear something, too. The sound of boots scuffling along the banged up concrete.

This time, I know I'm being followed.

Someone is watching me.

I furrow my brow and look in the direction of the alleyway. It came from there. I see nothing, but that doesn't mean nothing's there. I can't take this anymore.

I step in the direction of the alleyway and as soon as I turn the corner, I hear an intake of breath. But my eyes don't pick up signs of any life. Maybe it's me? No. This time, I'm not wrong.

The concrete turns into a pebble sidewalk, and I walk all the way to the end of the alley. I even peek around the ends to see if someone could potentially be hiding behind one of the stores. But I see no one. I curse at the growing darkness. Wow, Jess. I just wasted daylight trying to find some imaginary person that's following me. My sanity has led me to a cliff, and I just jumped off it.

I pivot on my foot, ready to head back to the streets when I see the same flash of black from earlier. Before I have time to react, a dirty rag is held firmly up to my face. The last thing I see before the world goes black are a pair of vivid blue eyes staring deep into mine.

Who is the person in black? Do you have a guess? Go ahead, and take a stab at it. Leave thoughts below! Chapter 9 should be out tomorrow!