Chapter #3

Chapter #3: The News; I'm Moving

***

I woke up to beeping sounds and I lifted my head, to see myself surrounded by hospital devices. I couldn't feel my throat and within seconds, found my self shouting for help as I tried to pull myself away from these cords that stuck from my arms.

"Calm down Miss Hills!" the brown haired nurse comforted me as she ran in through the door, handing me a water bottle.

"Get me out of here, please!" I sobbed, suddenly remembering the terrible memories from a few hours earlier.

I remember my Aunt and Uncle encouraging me to stay the night here and as much as I fought, the nurses drugged me and left me here to sleep.

"You're going to be staying here for a few more hours dear, you seem to be extremely sick," the nurse pulled up a chair.

"No shit. My parents just passed away," I rolled my eyes, trying not to sob again.

I cried so much last night that I don't even think I have any tears left to come out. My voice was hoarse and my throat hurt a lot.

"Please watch your language. I'm sorry dear. We understand, but please take your medication. You'll have a checkup soon alright?" she smiled, then walked out the room.

My hand was fisting the bottle.

Grabbing the pill box, I read the label, scoffed then chucked it against the wall causing it to shatter as pills flew in every direction. I watched as the pills bounced off the floors, onto the walls and spread across the entire room. My eyes ached and my fingers were soon fisting the blankets as I tried to relax myself.

"This isn't necessary." I whined to myself.

I tucked my knees to my chest and let my head rest. Tears gently streamed down my face and I suddenly started shaking and tried to speak to myself but I couldn't. I couldn't find any words to describe my feelings and pain right now. Instead of speaking, I let out a few sobs until Daniel and Melody barged in. As I rested my head against the pillow, I heard the door creak and footsteps followed.

"Oh my god Peyton!" Melody sobbed, running to my bed and hugging me tightly.

I was shocked that they'd be here already. How did they know?

"We heard what happened," Daniel began.

"We're so sorry!" Melody finished Daniel's sentence and she choked back a few sobs.

I held back my tears and brought them both into a tight hug. I looked at my friends who looked like they'd been sobbing for hours. Daniel's face was red and blotchy while Melody's facial make up was smeared everywhere.

"Your parents, we're so sorry," Melody wiped her face, spreading her mascara towards her temple. "We love them so much. They were amazing. Every meal they'd prepare for us when we'd come over. How they wouldn't care about the mess we always created. The food fights and how we almost burned the kitchen down. When Daniel locked himself in the attic for 24 hours and we thought he went missing. The memories, all of them; we'll never forget. The things they did for us, we'll never forget. They were great people, and I know they're peaceful right now. They're safe and peaceful and watching over you," Melody cupped my cheek and sighed.

"I bet they loved you guys a lot too," I mumbled, tears now pouring from my face as the words came out with ease from my best friend's comfort. 

Daniel didn't speak, but sat in his chair, cupping his face.

"Daniel," I whispered, stroking his back with as much comfort as I could muster. "Daniel please don't cry." I whispered.

Daniel looked up to me, his eyes blood red and his 'bad-ass' image disappearing, as he had such strong emotion in his eyes. Emotion that only I could understand.