Chapter #17

Chapter #17: Not Only for your Sake, but My Sake Too (Filler Chapter)

***

"Holy shit..." Evan repeated.

I stared blankly out the window as Evan drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, glancing repeatedly back at me, then on the road. After arguing with Evan for 10 minutes about whether or not I should go with him or walk home, he had forcefully pushed me into the vehicle and drove away. No it wasn't quiet- no it wasn't a peaceful, warm silence. Because every  10 seconds, Evan would repeat the same, damn, thing.

"Holy shi-"

"Shut the heck up will you?!" I shouted finally, hitting the dashboard of Evan's car with the fist.

I was getting impatient and annoyed.

"Hey! Calm down please?" Evan retorted.

"How could I calm down Evan?! Does it look like I should be calm right now? I'm hurt, I'm swollen and I can't even feel my own cheeks! Not to mention you're annoying big mouth speaking the same words over and over again- it's really annoying me so don't tell me to calm down!" I ranted, letting my head drop against the cold window.

"We need to get you the first aid kit as soon as possible Peyton. You got beaten to a pulp. Damn, it's all my fault!" Evan shouted, hitting the steering wheel.

I simply ignored his comment and he pulled up to the house. It was dark outside- I couldn't see anything except the yellow light that came from the street lights from above. I didn't know what time it was and I really didn't care.

I quickly got out and limped to the door. I knew I didn't have my keys with me so I slowly bent down and picked up the extra key that I had placed under the flower pot- specially for when I sneak out and come back late at night. I stepped in and made my way to the bathroom. The warm heat of the house made my skin tingle as I pushed my way up the stairs- Evan hot on my heels. Falling to the floor of the bathroom and clutched my stomach, sighing loudly.

"Damn you're really hurt Peyton," Evan breathed as he switched on the light of the bathroom. "Holy shit!"

"What?!" I shouted, exasperated.

"Y-your f-face?!" Evan's eyes were the size of saucers as he stared at me with his mouth to the ground. I hesitantly sighed and tried to stand to my feet. Evan saw me struggling so he quickly grabbed onto me hips and pulled me up gently. Once I was standing on both feet, I looked at myself in the mirror.

I stared blankly at my blue, beaten face. I wanted to say something but I couldn't; it hurt too much. I blinked multiple times as I felt tears well up in my eyes. I looked like trash- and I looked worthless. I blinked a few more times and eyed my body carefully. My face was bruised and my eye was badly swollen. These girls beat me- and they beat me bad. I cringed in pain and my eyes wandered across the mirror to the quiet Evan who stood behind me, a fist to his lips and his eyes almost popping out off his sockets.

Without thinking, I tugged at my shirt as tears poured from my eyes silently. Evan didn't say a word, but leaned against the wall; watching me intently. I cried a little louder once I pulled my tank top off and took a glance at my body. Evan was staring at me sharply and his fist flew to his mouth silently.

"O-oh my god!" I cried, clutching onto my stomach.

"Oh god Peyton we need to get you to the hospital! Your ribs!" Evan shouted, lightly placing his hands and running his fingers against the bruises and cuts, placed against my sensitive stomach from when I had been knocked against the bench and landed roughly on the cement floor. How could a girl do this? How could bullies be this physical? Didn't they know their words already hurt enough?

I sobbed even louder and slid my jeans down to my knees. I didn't care about the fact that I was now in my bra and panties around Evan; and he didn't see to care either because his eyes were intently placed on my injured thigh.

"How many girls were there?!" Evan asked, his voice gentle.

He was obviously feeling really guilty- but I'm not blaming him. He only left me to get us drinks.

"S-six." I whispered as I shouldered past him and ran to my bedroom. I ignored the shooting pain coming from every part of my body and I flopped onto my bed in a fetal position. Evan followed me quickly and I felt the bed dip down the second he had sat down next to me.

"Peyton. We need to go to the hospital now!" Evan said, his tone serious.

"No!" I cried, "No! Never!"

Evan's eyes had a look of pity, pain and concern. "Peyton we have too. Come on." he placed his hand on my elbow to lift me up but I kicked him away sharply. Evan seemed fazed by my sudden movement but didn't hesitate to try and lift me up again.

Screaming, I cried and threw punches and kicks onto the cold floor, "No I'm not going to a hospital Evan! I can't! I can't." I cried.

Evan sat down next to me and I leaned on his shoulder, crying my eyes out as every inch of my body throbbed in pain. He ran his right arm up and down my arm, comforting me at his touch. I heard him sigh exasperatedly. Of course he was annoyed. He was probably tired, bored and fed up with my childish complaining and actions.

"Why Peyton?" he whispered.

"They scare me Evan," I sobbed against his shirt. "Last time I entered a hospital, I watched my parents d-die in front of me. I can't go in one. I- I just can't."

"I know Peyton. I feel your pain. But let me take you. Look at you, you've been beaten to a pulp! Something could be wrong!" Evan said roughly.

"Good. I hope I die." I whispered, as my tears continued to flow from my eyes.

I felt Evan become tense under my touch and he backed away, lifting up my chin and this time not letting go. His nose barely touched mine and I saw anger flood through his eyes for a second.

"Don't you ever... say that again." he said between clenched teeth.

I sobbed lightly, dropping my head from his hold. "Why!? I have nothing to live for anyways so why not? Sounds amazing to me!"

Evan sighed, shaking his head. He got up and paced my bedroom as I limply lay on bed in tears and pain. After an awkward silence, he finally spoke up and I knew he was serious this time because his voice was serious and final; but yet, I felt they were gentle.

"We're going to the hospital Peyton. Not only for your sake, but for my sake too. I can't take seeing you hurt like this anymore."

My heart skipped a beat at his words.

He cares?

***

 A/N: Boring I know, I'm so sorry. I have writers block but I'm planning out the plot for chapter 18 so I promise it'll try to be more exciting. I've been getting a ton of messages for me to update and I gave in to the pressure- even though I have writers block. I'm very picky with my chapters, I always plan the problem, plot and setting of every chapter and when I don't have any ideas, my boring filler chapter appears. Sorry if you didn't like it, but please leave me a comment. I like reading your comments. Thank you all for your patience and also, thanks SO much for more than 6000 reads. You all rock. xo.