Chapter #7

Chapter 7: The Health Project

***

Pushing the locker room doors open, I grabbed my bag and didn't bother changing from my gym clothes. Quickly wiping away the oil and sweat from my face with oil-blotting sheets, I took my hair down and wiped away my tears. How dare she accuse my parents of throwing me into a school because they had no control over me? She doesn't even know me- or know anything about me. 

I snorted at the ignorance that must consume her brain. Just the thought made new tears well up in my eyes. I had never met people so evil before, this whole thing was so new to me- and it hurt.

Before anyone could see, I snuck out the back doors and ran to the cafeteria that was silent. Picking a table at the very back by the trash cans, I sat down and sobbed without a sound. I wanted my parents to be near me. I wanted to know that I could go home and have them waiting for me, but it was never going to happen. I could only speak to them through spirit, and that wasn't enough.

"I just need you here with me," I mumbled, wishing they'd have words to respond to me.

I've never wanted to see my parents more than I have today. The guilt I was feeling for going out the night before without telling them would forever eat me alive, and I prayed every night that they'd forgive me for the wrongs I'd constantly commit.

"Who?" a familiar voice echoed from beside me, right after I heard a quiet echo of the cafeteria doors closing.

I lifted my head from my arms to see Evan- of course standing by the table. I stopped sniffling for a moment, watching as he slowly but surely walked towards me. His face wasn't all cocky and smirky, but stone like. I found myself groaning in annoyance at his simple presence around me. I didn't need anyone hearing or seeing me cry, let alone a guy as handsome as he was.

I picked up my tote bag and threw it onto my shoulder, embarrassed that he'd even see me crying like this.

"You need to stop turning up in my face all the time," I mutter angrily, looking away from his strong gaze.

I shoved past him, and he stumbled back as I walked out the cafeteria doors. I didn't dare look back at him but from when I pushed passed him, I saw a bit of concern in his eyes. Just a bit, and for some reason, I felt nothing, nothing back. He simply annoyed me, and his presence wasn't something I needed right now. I needed to be alone.

As I walked out the back doors, I dug for my phone in my bag and turned it on quickly. It took a while to start up and before it was fully on, I was already outside sitting on the bench. I sniffled continuously as my head throbbed right above my left eye.

I scrolled through my contact list and landed onto Daniel's name. Clicking 'call', I patiently waited for him to pick up the phone. After a few rings, he finally picked up, his warm voice making me feel tingly inside. I missed his voice, and the way it sounded so familiar to me.

"Hello?" he says into the phone and I almost break down at the sound of his voice.

"Oh my god Daniel!" I whine, feeling my eyes pool up with tears.

"Peyton what's wrong? Why are you calling?" Daniel's concerned voice questioned me and it took me a while to reply without sounding like a person who couldn't speak properly.

"I-I can't be here! I hate this school Daniel. The girls are so awful," I muttered. "I hate it here Daniel. I need you or Melody or someone, they're all crude people, you don't even understand. No one here is like how people at our school are."

"Oh baby," Daniel's gentle voice echoed through the phone. "I know it must suck to be somewhere you know you don't belong but everything will be fine, okay? I promise. If any guys bug you, you call me and I'll beat the living shit out of them. Since you know, I'm capable of doing that," Daniel chuckled, lightening the mood a bit. His words made me chuckle quietly, comforting the feeling of pain I had in my chest. It was so simple, yet it made me feel better. "I'll come and visit you this week. Friday good?"