Chapter #32

• Dedicated to my beautiful readers.

Chapter #32: I Had Loved, and Been Loved

***

It was 7 o'clock in the evening when I had realised Evan and I had over stayed our visit at New Jersey. I sat in the passenger seat while Evan was driving, my thoughts consuming my mind. I could see the Pizza sign flashing from a distance, but I didn't really have an appetite. My back hurt and this morning had been a big weight on my shoulder, exposing myself so intimately to the boy I was in love with. I was thinking about so many things at once that I couldn't even think straight.

The drive was quiet and peaceful and my hand was warmly resting in Evan's hand, as he was focused on the road with his left hand on the steering wheel. I looked down to our hands, and felt happy inside. It was a weird kind of happy though- I don't even know if you could consider it happy, it was more of a 'I feel so happy right now but as soon as I get back to New York I know things are going to go insane' kind of feeling.

I felt like I couldn't really be happy long term wise. I always felt happy during the moment but when it came to thinking of tomorrow or the next day, I got worried, and anxious. Somehow, just looking at Evan, my feelings of unease faded away.

I let my thoughts drift as Evan pulled up to the Pizza Parlour and opened his door, letting go of my hand briefly and smiling gently. All of our bags were in the back of the truck, since we were planning on leaving after having our late dinner. I sighed, waiting a moment before opening the door and walking to Evan. He took a hold of my hand and led me inside, the strong smell of pepperoni pizza making my nose tickle.

We sat at a booth, not one word was said yet until the waitress came up to us and asked what we'd like to order.

"Hawaiian pizza please, medium sized slice," I said briefly without even bothering to open the menu book.

"And for you?" she grinned.

"Mushroom, medium sized."

Once she jotted down our orders and walked away, I let my back rest against the comfy back of the booth. "I'm exhausted."

"I can tell," Evan chuckled lightly, rubbing his tired red eyes.

Today had been a lazy day, we stayed in bed all day cuddling in the warmth of one another until we acknowledged that we had to leave New Jersey. It was odd, sad even. Being in the warmth of someone else, completely oblivious to all the wrong in the world. And then to realize you had to leave, because reality is out there waiting for you.

"What are we going to do about school? We were supposed to be back Monday. It's Thursday," I explained, rubbing my temples harshly. My head throbbed.

I genuinely hadn't even thought of school, or any of my classes. In the back of my mind, I felt awfully guilty for ignoring my courses, and the projects that were do. I giggled to myself at the fact that Evan and I had failed our Health project with a 43 percent. Half of the reason why is because we lost Paxton.

He looked up at me, raising an eyebrow. "Why are you laughing?"

I shrugged. "What happened to our Health project, Evan?"

I held back a laugh as Evan fell into deep thought, before jumping when coming to the realization that we did in fact fail our project. "Oh shit! Paxton!"

We laughed together, and I shook my head. "That poor baby. We abused him."

"It was dumb project anyways," he chuckled, his eyes glowing.

We sat quiet for a moment, before I asked again what the plan was.

"I don't know, Peyton," he sighed, placing his elbows on the table. "Are we failing senior year?" he joked.

I narrowed my eyes, a silly smile on my face. "Shut up. We honestly probably are. I haven't even checked my grade book in weeks."

Evan snorted. "I haven't checked mine in years."

"Nice."

"Thank you. Real talent."

"So raw," I retorted, sarcastically.

I pushed my hair behind my ear, laying my head in the palm of my hand as my elbow rested on the table. We were both exhausted, screwed with school and anxious. We were counting down the days until senior year was over- but that had meant college. I didn't know what we'd be doing, or where we'd be going; but that wasn't in our hands at the moment. The simple thought of college made me sick to my stomach.

"We'll figure it out," he said lightly, smiling tiredly at me.

I blinked for a long while, smiling back at him, grateful that he'd been doing this with me. I was still shocked about what had happened a few days earlier with my friends, and about what had happened 2 nights ago with Evan and myself. Everything happened so fast.

It had been a quiet five minutes before pizza plates were plopped on the table before us. We ate silently, the odd giggle of me struggling to pull off the stretchy warm cheese, and the scoff and laugh from Evan. We ate so fast that we were done in minutes, up and leaving.

By the time we were back on the road, I was so exhausted that I couldn't even lift my head back up. I had no more control over my body. It felt weird to be driving back on the highway to a place I dreaded going to, and the second we pulled up to my house, I dreaded coming back even more.

I turned to Evan, a worried grimace on my face.

"I'll come down with you," he said, letting out a yawn.

It was midnight.

We both opened up our doors and walked towards the trunk, pulling out my tote bag and few shopping bags that were small. We walked up my path slowly- but surely, and we both seemed to stop, right in the center of the road.

I looked at Evan, and every worry in my mind seemed to slip away. The look of love he gave me made me forget everything that was running on my mind.

"Can we forget about everything that happened? I just want to love you, and move forward."

I smiled at Evan, a hot flutter flying through my body, and my heart.

"Okay," was all I said as we continued walking.

Somehow, I knew that everything after this moment would be fine with Evan by my side. I smiled to myself, for the hundredth time today, and finally acknowledged that I'd fell in love, and was loved.