Chapter #16

Chapter #16: Places I didn't Even Know Could Ache

Picture off Roxanne on the right >

***

"Peyton Hills you open this door right this instant!" My Aunt pounded on the door angrily.

Great.

"I can't!" I choked out, leaning over the toilet just in case.

"If this door isn't open in a minute I will knock it down. I'm very disappointed with you young lady!" she shouted.

I've never heard my Aunt sound so angry before and I decided it's best if I just opened the door. I flushed the toilet and resumed to put on the sweater that belonged to Evan. I slowly tugged at the handle of the door and my Aunt's bright blonde hair caught my eyes. Her face was cringing in anger and her arms were crossed.

"Where the hell have you been! You weren't home last night and you haven't answered any phone calls! What the hell are you wearing young lady?" she screamed.

I grimaced at the tone of her high pitched, angry voice and held my mouth with the palm of my hand. If I could see my own self right now, I bet I look green.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I went out and I ended up getting... getting tipsy and I stayed at my friends house."

"A male?" she spat.

"Y-yes. But we're best friends. He's the one who took me to my doctor's appointment," I mumbled, feeling light headed.

"Oh okay! So this boy brought you over to his house because you were tipsy and you wore his clothes, slept in his bed and you come home in the middle of the after noon acting as if nothing happen! Acting as if your Uncle and I haven't been worried sick since last night! What is your problem Peyton?! You need to smarten up!" she hollered, her face becoming blood red.

"I had to miss my shift because of you!" she continued.

I scoffed. "Really? Is your shift more important than me?"

She hesitated for a moment, clearly noticing my change of attitude. "No. No, it's not but I need money to pay for everyone in this family." she spoke more quietly.

"Well here's a little thing I'd like to share with you: you're not my family." I seethed, before slamming the bathroom door shut in her face- rather disrespectfully and walking over to the shower.

I can't believe all this crap is just now building up to me. I can't stay here. I ran away from Evan like a moron and I just screamed at the only person who's willing to keep me.

I think I broke the record for longest shower that night. I sat in the tub, the shower head's water pouring down onto my back and drizzling down my now wrinkly body. I cried for what seemed like hours and my back was arched forward, my head resting on my knees that were tucked to my torso. The hot water steamed up my bathroom to the point where it was suffocating to step into. The mirror was basically dripping from the steam, and my body was hot like fire.

I'm pathetic.

***

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Peyton! Hey! It's Roxanne!" her chirpy voice echoed through the phone.

"Hey." I sighed, my voice coming out raspy and hoarse.

I lay on my bed, counting every hour that's gone by since I left Evan. All I knew right now is that it's been hours, and he hasn't called and I haven't tried calling too. Isn't it supposed to be the boy who runs away after a kiss? Isn't the girl supposed to be the angry one, not the guy? How could I run away like that, leaving him shocked? The kiss didn't even last that long, right? What if we continued? Would've we went farther? I had a million questions in my head, and they all were because of me.