Chapter #21

Chapter #21: I Will Never Forgive Myself

***

Evan's P.O.V:

"Evan hunny eat your dinner," my mom sighed.

"I'm not hungry mom," I spat, dropping my fork loudly against the plate of mashed potatoes.

"What is with you? Since when do you come home so early?" she questioned.

I wasn't in the mood to respond. All I was thinking about was Peyton; how hurt she sounded whilst crying in the car. I must've had a heart of stone to leave her like that without even saying goodbye.

"Evan?"

"Mom I don't wanna talk right now!" I shouted angrily, pushing the chair back with my legs and standing up.

My little brother Cole looked at me sadly as he nibbled on his corn. His blonde hair was falling down onto his forehead and his black pajama's were wrinkly.

"I'll be upstairs," I concluded, before hopping up the stair case and going up into my room.

I sat there on my bed, letting my head drop into my hands. I was filled with regret for letting Peyton run into the house without saying anything to her. She was probably hurting and what I did was wrong- even when I know she's going through a lot of things. She just needed someone there for her. I wonder what she's doing right now. Is she laying in her bed thinking about me? Is she laying there crying? Will she text me?

I got up and paced around my bedroom. It was 8:45 at night and it's been 45 minutes since I dropped Peyton off to her home. Pacing my bedroom, I caught a glimpse of my calendar and noticed the Health project was due this Monday.

"Shit!" I cursed, remembering that our baby 'Paxton' hasn't gotten any attention this week.

Peyton and I haven't even exchanged the rotations and she's had Paxton this whole week. She will get all credit for the project and Paxton hasn't seen his baby daddy at all this week.

"That's a good excuse to go see her..." I spoke to myself.

Smirking at my smart excuse, I grabbed my car keys and threw on my Converse before running down the stairs and out the front door.

***

I pulled up to Peyton's house and slammed my door shut before walking up to the front door. It was eerily quiet in her neighborhood and her house had no light anywhere. I took a few breaths, debating on whether or not I should even get Paxton and speak to Peyton. Is it bad that I'm using the project only to see Peyton? Will she forgive me?

"Grow a pair!" I mumbled to myself.

I knocked three times on the wooden door and tucked my hands into my jean pockets, waiting for her to open to the door. I felt excited- I needed to see her dark brown eyes and her long brown hair. I needed to smell her scent which always smelled of candy and-

You sound like a pussy Evan!

I knocked on the door for the third time and she didn't open. It was still quiet and the only source of light was from the huge moon above, glistening in the sky. Man, she must be really pissed at me. Without thinking, I grasped the door handle and spun it lightly to notice the door swing open. It was unlocked. Peyton always locks the doors because of her anxiety...?

Why isn't her door locked?!

I stepped in and called out to her. "Peyton?"

I walked down the small hallway and saw a flight of stairs and to the left a large clean kitchen that was abandoned. The dining room was dark and the hallways throughout her home were darker. All the lights were off in the house except a small light that shone from the top of the staircase.