Chapter 1 - Under the Circumstances

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. - Oprah Winfrey

Chapter 1 - Under Other Circumstances

"Mom, slow down. I can't understand you." She's still inconsolable. Between the signal I'm getting in the parking garage and her tears, I can't make out anything she is saying. Honestly, I can't tell if she's happy or sad. "I have to go. The connection is bad. Text me later, what you're trying to say. Grandfather is waiting, and you know how he gets if I'm late." I want to blow off today's introduction anyway. Like I do every time I meet his old clients. Instead of being about business for him, it's more about meeting his potential granddaughter-in-law.

She attempts to say something else, before I hear the phone being handed over. "Mason," My step-dad Cooper says in the phone. "We just got a call from Niam." Even though the connection isn't great, his voice is firm and easier to understand. "Addy's been taken to the hospital. Emily thought you would want to know." My heart sank to my stomach as I understand every word.

I'm not sure I said thanks before hanging up on him. I head back to my condo, and I quickly pack my bags, message my secretary, and hop on the first non-stop flight Boston.

I'm more than an hour late before I remember to call my grandfather. "What do you mean, you're not going to make it?" Grandfather roars through the phone. CEO of P. Cahill Industries, Inc. is about to loose his ever loving mind. He has plans for me, that I don't always agree with, but he keeps pushing his agenda.

"My sister is hurt and I'm headed to the hospital." I tell him again, and wait for the next words that he always says and I always dispute.

"You don't have a sister. You are an only child."

"No, I am your son's only biological child. I am not an only child." I have a sister and three brothers, but my grandfather doesn't think they count. Even though my dad had adopted my younger brother, Peyton, Grandfather did not claim him as a grandchild. He wasn't blood. This really isn't the time to get into it with a man that won't listen.

"You know what? Forget it. I'll be back in a few days. If you need me, then contact me through Tonya. If not, I'll see you when I come back." I wait a moment and hear silence, and I turn off my phone, board the plane, and wait.

Not sure what awaits me in Boston, I just know I can be there a few hours before my parents. There wasn't much of an explanation, just that she's been hurt and it is serious.

The last time I saw Addy was just before the New Year, and she was ready to finish her last semester at Boston University. She said, "I'm not ready to go back, I'm just ready to be finished."

I've missed her, and her bubbly personality, which she really didn't share with us during the holidays. She's become more serious these last few years.

---

"Oh, praise be to God," Niam says as I reach Addy's hospital room. The almost 5'7" Pakistani man stood by his small wife, and always sounds a little more religious when he is upset. He brings me to Addy's side, "Mason, she doesn't look good."

That was an understatement. My beautiful fair-haired sister lies in bed with multiple bruises visible on her face. Even if she wasn't unconscience, her pale green eyes are swollen almost shut and her left arm is wrapped. There are numerous machines and tubes attached to her, even one that is helping her breathe.

I look from Niam to Saada wanting answers from either doctor before me. They both take turns explaining her medical condition and what is being done for her. She has a hairline fracture on her skull, but the swelling is under control for now. She has three broken ribs and a broken wrist. There is extensive bruising on her face, back, abdomen, and thighs, but right now we are waiting for her to wake up.