Chapter 16 - Distractions

When you have to make a decision and don't, that in itself is a choice. - William Cheese

Chapter 16 - Distractions

To say I was caught off guard is an understatement. Just a few weeks ago, Addy was still scared of her own shadow, and now she's shacking up with some guy? There is no way. I knew she was looking at purchasing a house so she could be closer to school, but I figured she would decide it was too soon.

Chandler reaches her hand out to meet him. "Chandler. Friend of the family."

"Joel, bodyguard extraordinaire," his says with a humorous flair. My eyes narrow as Chandler moves him away from the doorway, and I'm met face-on with my mother.

"Before you say anything, listen to him. He's quite a unique individual." She glances over toward Addy and Chandler. "He's really good for her."

Cooper guides me down the hall to the small home office, just off from the guestroom. "Say what you need to me, first." He motions for me to take a seat as he closes the door.

"What is she thinking? Is she ready for any kind of relationship? She hasn't been on a date since she was in high school, and she's already willing to move in with a guy?" Cooper lets me blast many more questions his way before he stops me for his answers.

"It's not that kind of relationship. He introduced himself as a bodyguard, didn't he?" I nod. "Well, that's how he sees himself with her. I'll let him explain, but just know, he's met every male in this family, and he's passed every interrogation, even Will's." Chandler's dad, Will or Coach, as I call him, is probably the most territorial man I've ever met.

I let out a breath, resigned to the fact that I need to calm my thoughts about Addy and her future. I won't be here, and someone will have to look after her as she finds her way in the world.

Walking back through the house, I'm met with Addy smiling up at me as I join the group in the living room.

"Joel. You must be Mason. I've heard a lot about you." He holds out his hand for me.

I mirror his actions, and say, "I can't say the same, but I'm looking forward to talking with you."

Coach walks through the door just before lunch, playfully looking for a free meal. He holds a smirk as he greets me, keeping a close eye on me with his daughter. I already have his approval; this is just his way of teasing me, trying to make me uncomfortable under the scrutiny of an overprotective dad. What he understands more than most, is that I'm as protective of her as he is, but in a different way. I always have been.

Joel, and his interaction with Addy and Helen, holds my focus during lunch. Chandler taps my knee a few times to keep me from staring, but I continue to follow their playful banter. He doesn't touch Addy or Helen, and most of the conversation revolves around the new house.

Uncle Michael has agreed to oversee the partial remodel that is needed for the three-bedroom bungalow. He and his foreman took a look around before the purchase had taken place, and is set to begin work by the end of the week, leaving them a window of three to four weeks before they can move.

Addy's old behavior of loosing herself in a crowd is still apparent to anyone that knows her, but Joel can gather her attention back to her surroundings without making a scene. By the time he had done it a second time, my mother looks over for a reaction from me, and then smiles.

For a few hours, we sat around and watched a movie, all the while I watch the interaction of Joel and Addy, and even Helen. He shows nothing but respect in dealing with both girls, and plays and teases them, much like they do to him.