Chapter 14 - Struggling

Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, 'cause hate in your heart will consume you too. - Will Smith

Chapter 14 - Struggling

Mason-

My two weeks with Chandler went by too fast, and I'm left looking out at the harbor constantly thinking of her. There were too many days when I had to spend time in this office, some times she would help (when it related with Mid-South), and some times she would just keep me company as she looked out at the water.

Then, for a week, I was shown around Chicago between packing and sorting through Chandler's loft.

It is difficult to stand in my office at P. Cahill Industries without feeling lonely. I miss her. It's only been a few days, but it is getting more and more difficult to be away from her. It's not like I have to be with her 24/7, but I would like something more permanent than what we have right now.

For the next few weeks, I'm shuttling between Charleston and my hometown, building up to the time when I am no longer needed as part of Addy's support system. Not that I won't be at all, but I would be free to resume my duties, full-time, with Grandfather's company.

"Mr. Cahill just called down," Tonya says as she picks up a file and hands me my case.

"It's his third time. He thinks you're ignoring his calls." I look up at the clock. It's still thirty minutes before our afternoon meeting begins, and I only have to travel up one floor. Even if I have to take the stairs it should take less than five minutes.

Dred fills me as the elevator opens for me to exit, and I see Senator McHutchins with his entourage. I scan the room for Rachel or whatever her name is, and I find her cozied up to my grandfather. Heaven help me...

I was pleasantly surprised to find they are leaving and part of my meeting with lawyers overseeing our newest media venture.

"She's a good one... A real keeper," my grandfather says as the elevators close behind the group of people he had just been talking with. I keep my thoughts to myself, but I'm left to wonder if this is what he used to do to my father?

The thought sends a small wave of depression over my body, as I think I may have to put my foot down, somewhat like my father had done almost three decades ago. In my father's case, he had cut almost all ties from my grandfather until my birth, and even then their relationship was strained as Grandfather continued to push his own agenda in my father's life.

Grandfather had really hoped that after my father's military career was over that he would run for the senate. Having a meek wife like my mother would actually be an asset if he were in politics, but as my Aunt Regan told me that he thought there was no other use for her.

Regan has changed her tune when it comes to the strength of my mother's character. We've had a few talks about my father, and her regret for not treating my mother more fairly through the years. "It caused me my close relationship with my brother, seeing you throughout your childhood, and a friendship with your mom," she said a few years ago, on the anniversary of my father's death.