Chapter 20 -- Home Again

The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege. - Charles Kuralt

Chapter 20 - Home Again

Mason's POV -

Mom and Cooper have pulled me into their home office to talk about the changes I want to see at Cahill. I've already got a formal agreement from Aunt Regan, now that RAM was able to give me concrete information about the legalities of the reorganization. My dad's mother, Elaine, also has given her approval on the changes.

With my mother's approval that will give enough voting stock to sway a board member or two, even without Grandfather's ok. Regan is gathering support for the day this idea is presented to the board, in case it's dismissed before it can even be discussed.

Mom hasn't looked over the complete set of documents, just the outline of restructuring, and the benefits analysis. She'll read over everything later, like she always does, but she want to know in a nutshell what she has to consider. "So, exactly how does this change the structure of the company?"

"It ultimately gives more power to the subsidiary company, working independently under the Cahill umbrella, as it were. Even though the media company gains in power, Cahill receives tax and other benefits for incorporating inside a larger corporation. As Cahill, we are limited in how much we can expand into different markets, but we will not have the same limits as a smaller company."

"What is the time frame for this reconstruction?"

"We can have the paperwork filed within the month, but the turn around time from paperwork to signing checks, depends on the courts. RAM says most of the pieces will be in place within the quarter."

"Regan is ok with this? And Elaine?"

"They both agreed to support me when I bring it for consideration."

"You have Peyton's and my voting shares as well." Mom says, and Cooper just smiles at me with a face full of pride.

"Ok, now that that is settled, when is Chandler coming over?" Mom asks.

"She's with her grandmother today, but I invited her for dinner."

"Good." She studies my face and asks, "Things are good?"

"Mom, they're great."

--

The day of Cooper's birthday party, I knew would be difficult. It's the first time that Chandler and I have been around a lot of family at the same time. The last few times we've had gatherings, it's been small or Chandler was absent. This was different.

There is a type of ease we share with each other now that we didn't as just friends. It's the not just physical intimacy but the bond of trust we share is so much deeper. Throughout the afternoon and evening, we purposely tried to stay apart so we were not tempted to advertise our new relationship. We just want to keep what we have private just a little bit longer.

Toward the evening, I catch Joel and Addy on the deck looking out to the heavens. Joel has kept her by his side almost the whole day, knowing that the addition of Edward, Helen's brother, would throw Addy into a tizzy. If I didn't know better myself, I'd think Joel has designs on my baby sister.

Joel leaves to get a glass of wine for Addy and a beer for himself. He asks if anyone else needed anything, but we were good. "Are you even old enough to drink?" Edward asks Addy, and she stiffens. I wait to see her reaction. Usually, she and Edward fight like cats and dogs. He picks and she defends until no one can stand to be around either of them.