Chapter 7 - Impatience

I learned from a very young age that if I perused the things that truly excited me that they would reward in more important ways, like happiness.Brandon Boyd

Chapter 7 – Impatience

“Coffee,” I say as I hand Chandler her coffee and sit down beside her.  We have approximately thirty minutes until they call my flight, and she decided to stay with me since her flight is not for another hour and a half.  The terminal is busy, but most of the noise is drowned out as we concentrate on each other.

“Thank you.”  Her eyes glow as they take in my features.  I love the way she looks at me.  It’s like her look mirrors my own.

“Are you ready…” she’s unable to finish because I interrupt her sentence.  “To leave you?  Never,” and I squeeze her hand with mine.

Her smile lights up her face.  “No, are you ready to go back?”  To Addy was the words hanging between us.

“Mentally, yes, but not physically.  I don’t want to leave you.  I like doing this,” I kiss her quickly but deeply.  “way too much.”

Her smile comes easy, it always has, but now it feels like it belongs to me.  With another quick kiss I sit back enjoying just being close to her.  It feels different now, being with her, but still the same.  The comfort of friendship is still there, but now with overwhelming desire for her is added to the mix. 

“How is this going to work?”  Her question pulls my thoughts back to her.  The understood ‘us’ was what she is wondering about.

“We’ll see each other as much as possible.”

“Is that it?”

“No, I’d like for you to be closer to me.  Move to South Carolina or I could quit.  I’m sure I could find a job in Chicago.”

“You can’t quit.”  She scoffs, but I know I could quit in a heartbeat.  It’s not that I don’t love my job, but my job is not my life.  To Grandfather’s chagrin, It does not dictate my decisions.

“Well, then.  I guess we need to get you to South Carolina instead.”  My hand caresses the side of her face.  “I’m going to miss you a lot.”

“I know.  I feel the same way.” 

My flight is called.  I stand and her arms wrap around my body.  The look on her face takes my breath, not just that she is a very beautiful person, but that she’s smiling just for me.  I catch her lips with mine and slowly explore her mouth, memorizing everything about her.

“I’ll text you when I land, and I’ll talk to you this evening?”  My words come out as a question, hoping that she will be able to talk.

“I’ll talk to you tonight.”  With one last kiss, I board the plane.

_________

The ride from the airport took twenty minutes longer than normal, because of construction.  Now that I’m back to my life in Boston, I can digest everything that happened over this past week.  As much as I don’t like it, missing Chandler is going to my new normal.

Anticipation floods me as the taxi makes it’s way to Naim’s house.  “How did it go?” I greet my mom at the door of the apartment.  Putting down my bags, she quickly pulls me into a hug.

“I could ask you the same question,” she says as she playfully raises her eyebrows at me.

“You first.”