Chapter 30 - Checkmate

If you care about something you have to protect it - If you're lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it. ― John Irving

Chapter 30 - Checkmate

Chandler's POV-

After a blissfully long weekend honeymoon, Mason and I finally stagger back to reality. It's difficult to take off for a few weeks, which is exactly what we are about to do, without designating someone to hold down the fort. "Let's quickly get this over with so we can get back to more recreational activities," Mason seductively whispers in my ear.

He hasn't shaved all weekend, and now his facial hair is long enough to tickle as he leaves kisses on the back of my neck. "We can file our marriage license and your legal name change, before we meet Regan for lunch?"

"I thought you wanted to go to the office first?"

"No," he turns me toward him, running his hand from my waist to my hips, letting his fingers flare across my rear. "I'm ready to submit the paperwork that makes us legal." I'm unable to answer as Mason teases my lips with his.

Pulling away for a breath, he asks, "Are you ready to go, Mrs. Cahill?"

"Yes, I am, Mr. Cahill." Mason quirks with a playful grin on his face, before leaning over to give me one more kiss.

Thomas drives, and Mason turns his phone on, for the first time in days, listening to voice messages that he's ignored all weekend. There are a few calls of congratulations from family, an excited call from Rachel about wedding photos, and two from his grandfather.

"I need to go in to see him before we leave town," he tells me, but doesn't share the message with me. "I want you with me. I want to introduce you as my wife. He needs to see that we're happy."

Mason's shoulders shrug, hoping that this is the right thing to do. "I'd like that," I lace my fingers with his. Even though the man makes me nervous, I will enjoy every opportunity of being introduced as Mrs. Mason Patrick Cahill.

Our first two stops go as easy as expected, but Mason tenses as we pull into the restaurant to meet Regan. Patrick Sr.'s Mercedes is parked near the front. "Am I ready for this?" Mason asks himself in a voice barely above a whisper.

"It'll be fine. He wouldn't make a scene in public, would he?"

"No."

"Then, let's go meet my new grandfather-in-law."

Mason laces my fingers with his, kissing the back of my hand, before we enter the restaurant. His hand falls to my back as we make our way to the table. In almost the same exact seat as the last time we ate together, Regan sits beside her father. The seriousness of her expression pauses our movements for a moment, and I hear Mason let out a breath.

"I know you may not want to do this right now, but you'll have to face him sooner or later," I say to encourage him. "I love you, and we can do this."

Regan's face contorts for less than a second before she plasters a fake smile back on her face. As we get closer we can hear. "You will be civil or you can leave, but if you dare continue on with this, I will reconvene the board and take care of the matter, permanently."

"You would not..."

"That's the beauty in being the CEO. I do have the authority."

Mason clears his throat and Regan greets us with a genuinely happy smile.

"I wasn't sure if you would actually make it not," she says with a bit of humor in her voice.

Mason answers with a sharp tone, studying his grandfather as he speaks. I'm sure wondering if this was planned. "We said we would."