Chapter 23 - Smooth Talker

The word 'romance,' according to the dictionary, means excitement, adventure, and something extremely real. Romance should last a lifetime. -- Billy Graham

Chapter 23 - Smooth Talker

Chandler's POV -

Morning came sooner than I expected, but I can't remember the last time I've slept so deeply. "Mmmm," Mason snuggles next to me, and the low gravely sound emanating from his chest sends a little happy feeling that settles just south of my navel. Oh, I like being a girl.

Snuggling deeper into the blankets, Mason grabs my waist to halt my movement. "Keep it up, and I'm going to have a very happy morning." His voice is husky and seductive, and a part of me wants to say 'yes', but the other has a schedule to keep. He pulls me closer with his hands, securing me to his body. "How did you sleep?"

"Remarkably well. Thank you."

"What are the plans after your meeting with Jerry?" His question was only to get an opinion, because I could tell he already knows what he wants. "Because I could..." his breath hitches and I turn to face him. His hand cups my cheek, and he just stares for a moment. "I would like to spend the evening with you. You call the shots, I'm yours."

"That's dangerous. Oh, the things I could do..."

"I trust you," his voice sounds whimsical at first and then he repeated his words. "I trust you."

My heart began to swell, feeling the love and trust he has for me. "I trust you too, Mason."

"I know. You've proven that time and again." His eyes are sorrowful as he no-doubt feels the left over anxiety from yesterday. He buries himself in the crook of my neck and apologizes again for not confiding in me.

Tapping my finger to my chin, I contemplate what I want from Mason. "I think it's time to up the romance."

"Oh, really. And flying half way across the country isn't romantic?"

"Yes, but it was to settle your nerves more than being a romantic gesture. I was thinking Chick-flick romance. Handsome man." I caress his face. "Dinner, wine, guitar, beach... you know cliché 'win my heart' kind of night."

"I thought I already had your heart?"

"Yes, but you want to keep it, right?"

A growly low sound resonates from Mason's chest and he answers, "I most definitely do."

Five hours and a working lunch later, Mason and I leave Illinois for South Carolina. He smirks as I become anxious we'd miss the flight. Clearly not worried as he bypasses the main terminal for the airport, Mason just holds my hand and utters the word 'trust'.

Parked on the tarmac with engines running, is a large company jet with P. Cahill's emblem on the tail. "You brought the company jet?"

"I needed to get to you in a hurry." He answers as if it was a given.

Our bags are taken, as we step onto the plane Mason whispers, "Let the romance begin." With a broad smile, he ushers me to a sofa near the back of the plane. An attendant comes to check on us, explaining that she will be back when it is safe to move about the cabin. Mason thanks her and reaches over to turn on some music.

His complete attention is focused on me. He lets my hair down, and begins playing with the long strands, letting them fall through his open hand. "Have I told you how happy I am?"

"No, but the smile on your face shows me," my words earn me a kiss on the forehead.

"One of the smartest things I've ever done is pursue you," his green eyes brighten as he watches me look at him. "Before we shared out first kiss, I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. I just can't imagine my world without you in it."