Chapter 21 -- Damage Control

The freedom of the press works in such a way that there is not much freedom from it. -- Grace Kelly

Chapter 21 - Damage Control

Mason's POV-

The next two days were just a repeat of our first day on the river with the inclusion of Helen and Elliot. We begin with early morning fishing, an outdoor playful lunch, movie or games when it got too hot, and cooking fish on an open grill for dinner. Whenever possible, I steal a few moments with Chandler, but for the most part I just enjoy being around her with all of our friends.

We spend July 4th on the lake in my Grandparents' backyard, only taking a break for a few hours. Helen and Chandler spend most of the day on the boat with my mother's most teasing cousin, Caleb, and his two young teenage sons. Addy's fair complexion had her seeking shade by noon.

Elliot and Joel kept Edward busy and away from Addy for the most part, but I did witness one throw down. Addy took on Edward like a champ, flirting with Joel as she did it. I couldn't hold back my pride or my laughter.

I did get Chandler out on the jet ski a few times, and even ended up with Helen and Holden diving off cliffs for a while.

Helen had figured out there was more than just friendship, by all of the 'accidental' touches she said she witnessed. Chandler blushed a sweet gentle pink, and Helen pretended to zip her lips before I could ask her to keep the information to herself. She had one slip, when she was fighting me off, but it was to Holden. I'm not worried: the man is like Fort Knox, when it comes to getting information from him.

After watching fireworks from the dock of a nearby island, we head back to the river for the night. I knew I was limited on time with Chandler, but we were having so much fun with our friends, we opt for one more day on the water. It didn't take much to convince everyone, since no one was in a hurry to go back home.

When we got back to my parents' home this morning, I quickly shooed everyone away, taking Chandler with me back to Uncle Michael's. After a few short errands, we've pretty much been holed up in his upstairs movie room, stuck together like we would never see each other again. She played with my hair during some chick flick, and I ended up falling asleep in her lap.

It's evening and Chandler is ready to detach from me, but I am not willing to let her go. "If you stop whining, I can get the food ready for dinner before your uncle gets back home."

"I'll stop," I tell her moving up against her back, blocking her against the counter. My mouth toys with her neck as she tries unsuccessfully to stir a mixture of spices to coat chicken.

"You're not helping."

"I didn't want to," I smile, but she doesn't look impressed. Flipping her around, I move in, kissing her neck. She pushes me away, and I hear the garage open before I have her back in my arms. He's home early, and Chandler's is avidly trying to get me out of the kitchen, but there is no way I'm taking her hint.

I have her by the hips, trying to turn her toward me, again, when we hear, "Hand check!" from Uncle Michael from the doorway to the kitchen with a smirk on his face, and Chandler and I both raise our hands like 'busted' teenagers. "That's better, carry on."

"He meant for you to carry on in another room." She points with a spatula as if she's about to turn it into a weapon.

"Playful as ever, I see."

"Some things never change, because some people never grow up." Chandler says, trying to keep a straight face, but she does have the sink-eye glare down pat.