Chapter 6 - Victoria

Three days later, the Falcons gathered around an oak-wood table waiting for the rest of their party to arrive. Some sighed. Some drummed their fingers on the table. Rosaline made it very clear what she was feeling; she had her arms outstretched and head on the table.

Those Amiticians act as if they were all high and mighty and then had the audacity to be late. Victoria swore that was just to spite them.

Maxwell, Cecelia and Raymond finally arrived. They all shuffled into a seat, apart from Maxwell who remained standing next to his seat as if to gratify himself with greater importance.

"The authorities have searched the perimeter of the prison and have found no trace of Adelaide. They will continue to search but are not confident that she will be found soon" he said.

"Well, you're not looking hard enough" Rosaline shouted, banging her fist on the table.

"Rosaline!" Victoria said.

Rosaline sat back down, but still wore a scowl.

"Two more towns have been destroyed" Maxwell said. "I think finding Erebus is more important that finding one AIA agent".

"How can you say that? She is 10 times the person you'll ever be" Rosaline shouted.

Maxwell looked faintly annoyed, but didn't say anything. Rosaline had every right to be angry, Victoria was too. But Rosaline could not restrain herself.

"That was uncalled for" Raymond said. "But so was your comment Max"

"I'm sorry I like to look at the bigger picture" Maxwell said though gritted teeth.

"Rosaline, Adelaide would've wanted us to focus on the mission" Nicholas said.

"Which we seem to be forgetting" Cecelia said, clasping her hands on the table. "The head of the AIA will be having a meeting with the king of Amiticia next week and we still don't have any leads, or a plan".

"Someone has to come up with something" Raymond added.

"No one is going to listen to us" Nicholas said.

"They'll listen to me" Victoria said, standing up. "I propose we put the country in lockdown."

"That could work" Maxwell said. "If the king agrees to it".

The next morning the Falcons sat at the exact same table this time for breakfast. Victoria was having a croissant which she wasn't particularly enjoying. Every day they didn't find Erebus meant more people dead. There were also no leads about Adelaide. Every day that they found no trace of her sent Victoria deeper into a spiral of dread.

"I can't stop thinking about Adelaide. She must be so scared out there on her own" Penelope said. "I prayed for her last night. It felt strange to pray in a place that wasn't a temple. But I felt I needed to".

"You know, if Adelaide were here she would say: "Why bother praying to angels. They're not going to help us" Nicholas said.

"Don't talk about her as if she were dead" Rosaline said.

A moment of awkward silence passed as everyone in the room knew Adelaide might very well be dead. For all they knew.

"Adelaide is very self-sufficient. She will be fine" Victoria reassured.

"What if she's not, Vicky?" Rosaline said. "What if something terrible has happened to her? Dominic-"

"That's quite enough, Rosaline" Victoria interrupted with a harshness that she rarely enforced.

"But the person I interrogated, he looked so familiar. Then it dawned on me. While I was in prison, there was this guard who was in charge of the row I was locked up. He was also Dominic's right hand lackey. Why was he there in the building and suddenly Adelaide is gone?"

"Um...Who's Dominic" Penelope asked.

"No one. It's not our story to tell" Victoria said, glaring at Rosaline.

After breakfast, Victoria found Rosaline in the training gym. She was leaping across the gauntlet like a deer leaping away from its prey. Except deer were more graceful. When she saw Victoria, she jumped down with a thud that made Victoria cringe. The jump could've shattered Rosaline's ankles had she not landed properly.

"Hey Vicky" Rosaline said.

"Don't "Hey Vicky" me" Victoria said. "I can't believe what you blurted out during breakfast"

"I didn't blurt out anything" Rosaline protested. "I had my reasons".

"No you didn't. And you didn't have any right bringing that up. Adelaide told us her past in strict confidence".

"I'm sorry. I just want to find Adelaide" Rosaline said.

Rosaline's eyes were on the floor. She looked so mournful. Victoria silently chastised herself for being so harsh.

"I know" Victoria said, softening her voice. "I want to as well".

"Have there been any developments?" Rosaline asked.

"No, but Mr Elderwen spoke to the king today. He suggested the lockdown idea but the king wasn't for it. Said it would cost the country millions in tourism"

Rosaline was silent for a moment.

"At least we know where his priorities lie".

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.