Chapter 31 - Victoria

As much as Rosaline insisted she and the prince were on their way, Victoria still worried. It was a miracle Adelaide made it back the headquarters alive. Half of Amiticia was looking for her, their pitchforks and torches leading the way. There had been riots outside the castle, shortly after Adelaide's escapade. But the protest turned riot was not caused by angry Leonard supporters. Though Victoria had not been there, she heard the protesters brandished blue and white ribbons on their upper arm: Amitician rebels who'd very much like to see the king dead.

A shiver went through Victoria's spine when she heard the news. She headed straight for Adelaide's room in the tower. She tried not to look too shocked when she walked in Adelaide's room to find Kiyan already there.

They were sitting on the couch, barely three inches apart. Adelaide's face hardened when Victoria walked in. She was already defensive, and Victoria hadn't said a word.

"It seems your prison escape has sparked riots"

"How bad is it?" Adelaide asked.

"The Havensborough temple went up in flames. They've put out the fire, but the damage is pretty bad" Victoria said.

Adelaide's face fell.

"Havensborough is in Concordia" Adelaide said slowly.

Victoria shrugged. "News travels fast".

"It couldn't have been Amitician rebels. They have no reason to attack Concordia. In fact, most of the rebels want Amiticia and Concordia to be united" Adelaide said.

"We believe it was the Camicazi" Victoria said.

The word sent a shiver down Adelaide's spine. The Camicazi were a group of people who firmly believed humans were never meant to possess magic. What started as peaceful protests began to escalate to setting houses on fire and people being burned at the stake. Enchanters were now respected people: healers, priests, AIA agents. The last Camicazi incident was over 100 years ago. Is it possible people could turn against their doctors and teachers?

"You think it's my fault?" Adelaide said.

"Of course not. These people are nothing more than copycat morons. But you are an influential person. The things you do will be publically scrutinised"

"I didn't mean for it to backlash in such a way. To give the Camicazi more fire".

Victoria realised, for the first time in a while, Adelaide was being deadly serious. She looked almost mournful, like she regretted doing something stupid.

"No one will take them seriously" Victoria dismissed.

"What if they do?" Adelaide said. "What if their crazy ideals start to make sense? What if they start gaining supporters?"

"It would be like the pilgrimage part two" Kiyan observed.

"That wouldn't happen" Victoria chided. "People respect Enchanters now".

"Do they?" Adelaide challenged. "Let's look at the statistics, shall we? Enchanters are 70% more likely to be attacked on the street than ordinary people. And 2/3 of murder victims are Enchanters".

"I understand your concern but we really need to focus on Erebus right now" Victoria said.

"Why do you keep calling him Erebus?" Kiyan asked. "Everyone knows who he is now"

"Yes, but I'm only one who really knew Dominic" Adelaide said quietly.

Victoria sat down on the opposite chair, swallowing down her guilt.

"I know this is hard Adelaide but you need to tell us everything you know about Dominic's plans" Victoria said. "Starting with what he said to you in the library"