Chapter 16 - Adelaide

Adelaide lay curled in a ball. She jumped when the door opened. Cadalian stood at the door wearing a faded white t-shirt and jeans. His hair was messy and without that awful cap he almost looked...human.

Adelaide sat up straight and said:

"I'm not apologizing if that's what you think".

"That's not what I came here for" he said.

"Good. Because I'm not sorry" she said.

Cadalian threw his rucksack on the floor and sat on the chair next to the door.

"You should be. You interrupted my eighteenth birthday party" he said.

Adelaide snorted. "Your eighteenth huh? What did you do hire a stripper or get one of the Enchantresses to dance for you at gunpoint?"

Cadalian pulled a disgusted face. "You're sick".

"I was just wondering how someone could celebrates when we're living in hell" Adelaide retorted.

Cadalian narrowed his eyes and ran his hand threw his hair. He took a deep breath and said:

"I heard you were a big shot in Concordia. They call you a Warrior Queen".

"So? Do you want an autograph?"

Adelaide felt her annoyance grow by the second. What did he want with her? If they were going to make her suffer at least let it be in peace. Not with this bumbling fool of a boy to keep her company.

"Look, I don't like this place any more than you do. I want to see it destroyed. I'd hoped you'd be the one to that. Apparently I overestimated you" he shrugged.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, kiddo but I am only one person. In case you haven't noticed this place is locked up tighter than a castle" Adelaide snapped.

"But there are ways out" Cadalian said. He rummaged through his bag and produced a book. The book was a blue hard back with a gold spine. The title read: The Downfall of Winter.

"Anya said it was your favourite" he said.

"It is...but I don't understand" Adelaide said.

Cadalian glanced at the corner of the room. It was a quick glance, Adelaide might have missed it if she blinked.

"Just keep a hold of it" he said and left.

Adelaide ran to the door.

"Wait" Adelaide shouted. "Who am I making this autograph out to?"

He stopped and turned around.

"Kiyan" he said.

Adelaide crept back into the room the door. When she opened the book a piece of paper fell out. She unfolded the paper which had drawings etched on it. White boxes against blue paper. It made Adelaide's head ache. Then she noticed the boxes were labelled. Acheron, Asphodel, Erebus, Elysium, Styx, Phlegethon, Cocytus and Tartarus. These were all places in the underground labyrinth. There were more sections than she realised. What was even more shocking was that Kiyan had just given her a map of the entire camp.

A couple of nights later Adelaide was dragged – literally dragged out of bed by a female guard. The guard hadn't said a word to her but didn't seem overly menacing. The guard was the same height and build as Adelaide but she was too tired to fight back. If this guard was going to take her to Tartarus, at least it would be warmer than her current room.

As they hurried down the tunnels, Adelaide caught a glimpse of her name tag from the fading lights. Officer Kerrandra.

"Where are we going?" Adelaide said.