Chapter 11 - Rosaline

The Falcons arrived at the castle the next day. If they'd hoped for a warm welcome, they would've been disappointed. When the car arrived beside the gates of the castle, they were immediately herded to the throne room. Tapestries adorned the room, patterns that told stories of destruction, disaster and betrayal. These were in stark contrast from the tapestries in Concordia, which weaved heroic tales from hundreds of years ago.

The little girl inside her loved the heroes on the tapestries. The thief inside her loved the gold plates and goblets that sat on the banquet table. Though the table had no food on it, it was set out as if there would be a banquet tonight. The king's invitation was not extended to dinner. If was as if he had the table set out just to taunt them.

Rosaline in stood in awe at the size and beauty of the room. It was bigger than the training gym in the Concordian AIA HQ. Two thrones sat at the end of the room. Queen Magdalena sat in one. The other was empty. Prince Casper stood next to the empty throne. He would never be allowed to sit in his father's chair - not until the king abdicated the throne. The Queen was silent. Rosaline realised she had never seen the Queen speak. All she had to do was sit on her throne bathed in riches and flawless beauty.

The prince spoke exactly once. To tell them his father would be along shortly. Rosaline had never heard anyone so young speak so eloquently. The sun rays bounced off his head, making his golden hair shimmer. Rosaline wondered if all royals were hereditarily beautiful. If that was so, King Leonard must've missed that gene. If it weren't for the royal robes, he could've been any person off the street.

"Ah, you've finally decided to join us" The queen said.

Rosaline stared at the Queen wondering if she imagined it.

"You'll have to excuse my wife. She's always been too headstrong for her own good" King Leonard said.

He crossed the room, but didn't sit in his throne. Instead he stopped in front of the Falcons. He walked as if he was the epitome of all existence. Rosaline wanted to snatch the crown off his head.

"The Warrior Queens. We finally meet" he said.

Victoria stepped forward. "Your majesty. I would like to reassure you that we are doing everything in our power to find Erebus".

Victoria spoke with grace, but gritted her teeth. She was normally good with formal occasions. Victoria shared Rosaline's disdain for the king of Amiticia.

"Obviously not soon enough. My country has been ransacked. Countless people have died. I was told the Warrior Queens would be my savoir. Was I misinformed?"

"With all due respect your majesty" Nicholas piped up. "We are missing one of our party".

Two, Rosaline wanted to add. Was it that easy to forget about Penelope?

"Yes. There are three Warrior Queens, yet I only see two Concordian woman standing before me" King Leonard said.

"Adelaide is missing in action" Victoria said, notably quieter.

"How dreadful" Queen Magdalena said.

The king sighed. And not quietly.

"Make no mistake. I am a fair man. But I will not watch my country be torn asunder. The fate of Amiticia exceeds the importance of a mere girl. You will focus on finding Erebus. Do I make myself clear?"

"Sir, with all due respect, the Anti-Insurgence Association has been working hard to capture Erebus. I am positive he will be found soon" Victoria said.

The King nodded his head. "And what about New Bethshire and all the other cities? How do you plan to keep it safe?"

"We couldn't possibly guard every town and city. There simply isn't enough people" Victoria said.