Chapter 38 - Victoria

Adelaide came into view behind Dominic. She wore a long white dress with a gold belt and held a jewel encrusted Enchanter's staff. The look of defeat on Adelaide's face made Victoria's stomach churn. She had no doubt been buying them time to come up with a plan. Victoria had nothing. Adelaide surely knew there was nothing they could do – not without being killed in the process. So what was she doing?

Adelaide walked to the middle of the circle. Dominic was an arm's length away from her and she wasn't making any attempts to strike him. Something was off. She seemed calm and concentrated - which worried Victoria.

Rosaline kept fidgeting, which is what she always did when she agitated. She grew paler by the second. She seemed have forgotten about her injury which she had since wrapped a piece of her torn clothing around. It had staunched the bleeding but for how long until the effects of the poison would kick in?

"We can't let her go through with this" Rosaline said. "She's not thinking straight. She's probably entranced by an illusion".

Of course Adelaide didn't have the dazed look or the glazed eyes that a person would normally have under an illusion – but she was definitely different. A person could be talked out an illusion but what could they do? Adelaide didn't listen to anybody. Victoria felt like she hardly saw Adelaide anymore. She'd been spending so much time with...

"Kiyan you have to talk her out of it" Victoria said.

Kiyan looked surprised but also alert as if he was waiting to be given a task. Kiyan had proved useful and, as much as Victoria hated to admit it: he was the most expendable. He nodded and made his way over to the pentagram swiftly. Adelaide didn't stop him just gaped in shock.

"You can't do this" Kiyan said. "You'll kill millions of people and you won't be able to control the demon. You'll die trying".

"I know" Adelaide smiled sadly. "You have to get out the pentagram".

Dominic sauntered over to the pentagram. "Isn't this nice? Adelaide's found someone just as pathetic as she is"

"Don't do it. I know this isn't what you want" Kiyan said.

Adelaide couldn't even look at him. She just stared at the ground, probably hoping it would spilt down the middle so she could jump down the gap. Dominic stood there tapping his foot. His followers seemed to have sensed his impatience because two of them advanced towards Kiyan. Dominic held up his hand and they stopped.

"What Adelaide wants is to save her own skin instead of saving millions of others. Selfish isn't it?" Dominic said.

Kiyan turned and gave Dominic the coldest look. Even Victoria was impressed.

"I wasn't talking to you" Kiyan said.

Even Victoria gasped. Dominic laughed, and shook his head.

"Your meek attempts at heroism amuse me. Unfortunately we don't have time for charades. Have him killed" Dominic said to his followers.

One gesture, one flick of the wrist was all it took to end someone's life. Victoria realised she'd had that power before. The thought didn't sit well with her. Victoria also noticed something else. The sprinkle of dust that fell from his hand. The way his followers were mostly dormant until Dominic made them spring into action with a gesture...

The followers dragged Kiyan out of the circle and quickly disarmed him. Kiyan did try to fight back but his movements were sloppy and unprofessional. They put him in a kneeling position and raised a machete in the air. Adelaide just stood there, a single tear ran down her face. Then she blinked and the fire blazed in her eyes once again. She ran forward and her staff collided with the machete mid-swing. The machete was no match for an Enchanter's staff made with sanguis angelorum. It snapped in half and the wielder growled. But not long before Adelaide whacked him over the head.