Chapter 25 - Victoria

Rosaline had some crazy ideas, but sometimes they paid off. Going to Shinama would surely be suicide, but what choice did have now? Victoria thought about what she would say to Rosaline once she found her that morning. Admitting she had been wrong was something that did not come easily to Victoria, but maybe it was something everyone had to do at some point in their lives.

Victoria decided last night. The Falcons would pay a visit to Shinama. She would tell Rosaline first before breakfast so to avoid any incredulous outbursts.

Victoria knocked on Rosaline's door several times before she unlocked with her master's key. As the door creaked open, Victoria marched into the room. The bed was made and the curtains were closed. She heaved open the wardrobe to find it empty. Rosaline was nowhere to be seen. Neither was any of her belongings.

Victoria stormed into the dinning and hall. The Falcons assigned table was almost empty. Only Raymond and Cecelia sat there.

"Where is everyone?" Victoria exclaimed.

"We don't know but they're not in their rooms" Raymond said with a shrug.

"Please tell me they haven't all went to Shinama" Victoria sighed.

"They left us behind?" Cecelia said shrilly. "No, Maxie wouldn't do that"

Cecelia wide-eyed looked reminded Victoria of a deer. She didn't understand how some people could become so reliant on each other. It would only lead to disappointment.

"Well, all their bags are gone. That would suggest that they have indeed left us behind" Raymond said. "There must've been a valid reason. No reason to be upset about it".

"What do we do Victoria?" Cecelia said, as she started to cry. "What do we do?"

Victoria wanted to shake her. Victoria herself was feeling panicked. She would love to curl up and cry about the situation, but she was their leader and she didn't have that luxury.

"Just take a break today. I'll decide tomorrow" Victoria said, leaving the dining hall without breakfast.

Victoria marched across the ground floor towards the guest rooms. She arrived at Kiyan's door and pounded on it.

"Hey, you missed breakfast" Victoria yelled. "When you live in this building, you go by a schedule. You do not just get up whenever you feel like it".

No reply. Was he in Shinama as well? How would she explain that to Adelaide?

"I have a key that opens every room in this building. I will use it".

After more silence, Victoria jammed the key in the lock, twisted it and flung the door open. Kiyan was not there. Instead, Adelaide was sleeping soundly in the bed.

"Adelaide?" Victoria exclaimed.

Adelaide's eyes flew open and landed on Victoria. She jumped up and flung the duvet off. She still wore the black prison jumpsuit. The clothes hung loosely on her, as if she hadn't ate properly in days. If Victoria had not been so shocked to see Adelaide, she might have felt sympathy towards her.

"Victoria. What are you doing here?" Adelaide exclaimed.

"What am I doing here? What are you doing here?" Victoria said, lowering her tone to a whisper-shout.

"Well I was sleeping until you came battering on that door" Adelaide said.

"Very funny" Victoria shook her head. "Really, Adelaide. I thought better of you".

Adelaide's eyebrows furrowed together.

"I didn't sleep with him, if that's what you're thinking" she said.

"I was actually talking about your little prison escape" Victoria said.

Adelaide's eyes widened. "I'm not going back. You can't make me".

"I could. But I'm not going to" Victoria said.

Adelaide breathed a sigh of relief.

"I was in the tower but I hated up there. So cold and stuffy. It hadn't been used in so long I could practically feel the breath of the ghosts on my skin" Adelaide made a disgusted gesture. "And anyway, Kiyan doesn't even stay in this room anymore. He was moved to level three".

On whose authority? Victoria wanted to ask.

"I'll get you some new clothes and another place to stay" Victoria said instead.

"What?"

"You can't stay here. All of the AIA will be looking for you" Victoria said.

"I don't want to leave here. It's the only place I feel safe" Adelaide voice shook.

"Nothing is going to happen to you. Dominic is not going to find you" Victoria reassured.

Adelaide looked down.

"He always finds me" Adelaide whispered.

A clatter from downstairs echoed throughout the room.

"Level one" Victoria whispered.

Adelaide grabbed her boots and started to tie them.

"What are doing? You have to hide. You're on the run"

"Don't worry about me. Just get to level one" Adelaide said.

Victoria sighed. "Be careful".

Victoria ran to level one, expecting to see monsters rampaging through the gym. Instead what she found was hordes of people standing around gaping in horror. Victoria pushed through the crowd to see what it was. A body drenched in blood lay on the floor. It took Victoria a heartbeat to realise who it was. With the blonde curls it was unmistakably Cecelia. Behind her, there was a message written in blood on the wall:

EREBUS IS HERE TO STAY.

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.