Chapter 27 - Rosaline

The snowy mountains that loomed overhead were like a giant's rotting teeth. Rosaline wondered what would happen if the airship collided with the mountains. Even looking through binoculars she could not see any sign of civilisation. No houses, no shops, no streets – just endless miles of desert. Shinama was the smallest kingdom in the ancient Peaceland kingdoms. Most of the land was swamped with monsters. Towns with actual people were few and far between. Rosaline could just make out remnants of deserts on the outskirts of Glassmond, the country's capital. Also the Peaceland kingdom's gambling central.

Rosaline fidgeted with the zip on her jacket. She had sat in the control room hoping to pick up a few things about airships. To own her own majestic machine eagle – that was the dream. So far Prince Casper had been no help at all. All he did was mutter something about the emergency fuel tank and how to activate it. The silence made Rosaline uncomfortable.

"Have you ever been to Shinama?" Rosaline asked.

Casper gave her that superior look that royals always give when you spoke to them without being spoken to.

"No. I hardly leave the castle" he replied.

Rosaline snorted. "Poor little rich boy".

Casper gripped the steering wheel tighter. "You have no idea what it's like to be me"

Rosaline felt anger flare up inside her. Casper had overprotective parents. Big deal. Rosaline wished she had a nasty retort. But she didn't have Victoria's cool grace with words or Adelaide's fiery wit.

"You've never had to worry about where your next meal is coming from. You've never had to sleep on the street. You've lived your entire life in luxury. Do you expect me to feel sorry for you?" Rosaline exclaimed.

She only had childish outbursts, apparently.

Casper seemed dumbfounded. "People don't live like that anymore. Not in Amiticia"

Now it was Rosaline's turn to be dumbfounded. How could a person be so naïve? If this was to be Amiticia's future leader, Rosaline wept for them.

"Of course it still happens. How can someone have so little knowledge of their own kingdom?" Rosaline said.

Casper shifted uncomfortably and kept his eyes set straight ahead. Even though there was no traffic up here.

"I regret letting you in the control room" he finally said.

Rosaline stormed out the room with a growl. She had never met anyone so frustrating. All Rosaline wanted to do was learn about what the buttons and levers on the control panel did. Mechanics had always fascinated her. Her brother had owned a garage. Thirteen-year old Rosaline sat mesmerised as he tinkered with the posh people's cars. Rosaline felt a twinge of pain in her heart. She never allowed herself to think about the people she had left behind. Never talked about the painful part of her past.

As Rosaline walked into the seating area, she could hear Maxwell's voice even before she entered the seating area, no doubt arguing.

"Of course I didn't know Penelope was in league with Dominic." Nicholas said. "How could I?"

Nicholas was perched on the edge of the couch, Maxwell was standing, towering above him, as if to emphasis his importance.

"There must've been a traitor in the group for Erebus to have known all the things he did" Maxwell said.

"I've known Nicholas for years. He's been like a brother to me. How dare you suggest that he might betray us" Rosaline said.

Maxwell set his sceptical gaze on Rosaline.

"Perhaps you are the rat. Who would suspect it?"

Rosaline stepped forward. Nicholas put a hand on her shoulder.

"Leave it. He's not worth it" Nicholas said. "We have to focus on other things. Like getting across Shinama. Which would be easier if we had more people".

"It was best to leave Raymond. He and Victoria will continue the investigation back in Amiticia. Raymond is one of the best agents I've worked with".

"What about Cecelia?" Rosaline asked.

Maxwell's face changed. His face creased and he turned away but Rosaline saw it.

"Cecelia is safer back home" Maxwell said.

Nicholas cleared his throat. "I heard a rumour about Shinama" Nicholas said. "Apparently white and black magic don't work here. Only natural magic"

"That wouldn't happen" Maxwell said stubbornly.

"It's true" Nicholas said. "They think it has something to do with all the monsters drawing the energy out the land".

"It wouldn't matter anyway" Rosaline said. "None of us are Enchanters. We can't use magic".

Maxwell narrowed his eyes.

"Yes but our weapons are enchanted" he said. "You did bring enchanted the weapons".

Rosaline's heart nearly stopped. How could she forget that? With all the things she brought, in the commotion she forgot the most important thing. Now she could see why she was considered the forgotten Warrior Queen.

"I...uh must've forgot to..." Rosaline trailed off.

"Well luckily I didn't" Nicholas said striding over to the storage compartment and pulling it open to reveal various weapons faintly glowing with magic.

"Nicholas" Rosaline exclaimed. "Thank you so much"

Nicholas grinned. "What would you do without me?"

The conversation slowly drifted into politics and Rosaline had enough of trying to convince Maxwell Amiticia's crime system was too harsh. She went through to the bedroom and crashed into what she hoped was her bed. It was too dark to see.

Rosaline tossed and turned but sleep was a stranger tonight. Damn that Casper! Reminding her of the past she'd like to forget. Images flitted across her dark eyelids.

When she was fourteen, she lost her mother

A mugging went wrong

Her brother had meant to hit the attacker

Their mother took the full force of the thunder spell

With no family to turn to

Perin and Rosaline turned to thievery

They got by

But grief, greed and blame tore them apart

Rosaline made it on her own

More than made it own her own

She became one of Concordia's best thieves

Came close to stealing the crown jewels

Or so she told people

Yes Rosaline Larendof was Concordia's most talented thief

Until she got caught

The airship shuddered as it connected with the ground and came to a sudden halt sending Rosaline tumbling out of bed. The reverberations of the door being opened echoed throughout the room. The inhuman screams that soon pierced the air sent terror shouting through Rosaline.

"Get the weapons. Get the weapons" Nicholas's voice cried.

Light streamed through the pitch black room, blinding Rosaline.

"Stop hiding Warrior Queen. It's time to live up to your name" Maxwell said. "We have our first visitor".

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.