Chapter 26 - Adelaide

Adelaide ran straight towards the weapon's room. She expected some people to be confused by her presence, but the few she did pass were too busy trying to get to level one to notice her. When Adelaide passed the library, she heard a clatter. The door which was slightly ajar creaked when she pushed it open. The library seemed undisturbed apart from an inkwell had been tipped over on the desk. That wouldn't make such a racket. Who even uses inkwells anymore?

Just when Adelaide was about to turn back the door slammed shut. The wind wiping past her like a slap. She turned around and with a start spotted Dominic sitting at the desk.

"Hello Adelaide" Dominic smirked. "Long time no see".

Adelaide's heart nearly stopped when he rose from the desk and walked over to her. Dominic wore a cloak that fluttered when he moved. And he moved like a leopard. Quick and gracious. And deadly. Adelaide stepped backwards and traced her hand along the door. When she found the doorknob she pulled it. It resisted. Adelaide bit down her panic. This was an old building. The doors were always stiff. Sometimes they required a second tug. Or a third. Or a fourth. Or a fifth.

"So much has changed over the years" Dominic said. "But you're still the pathetic coward you always were".

Apprehension jolted Adelaide. She hit and clawed the door desperately, willing it to open. Dominic grabbed her shoulder and spun her around.

"Get away from me" Adelaide said icily.

Adelaide ran to the other end of the library only to discover the other door was locked.

"The Warrior Queen has finally found her voice" Dominic scoffed. "We both have such silly nicknames that don't suit us".

Adelaide ignored him and searched the room looking for a weapon, anything to strike him with. She wondered if she could pummel Dominic to death with a hardback. For now she would just have to keep him talking.

"Ah, so you're the mysterious Erebus?" Adelaide said, crossing her arms and leaning against the door in an attempt to look nonchalant even through her heart pounded.

"I'm quite insulted no one figured it out, most of all you" Dominic said.

"Oh, I knew all along"

"You knew it all along, but you kept it a secret. What does that say?"

"Don't flatter yourself, darling. I was merely bidding my time" Adelaide said.

Dominic raised an eyebrow. "Bidding your time? While people died meaninglessly?"

Adelaide felt bile creep up her throat. She scanned the room again, looking for something, anything. She knew she couldn't use magic – the library was warded against that. If only she could get him out the protection of the library.

"Don't look so disgusted, it was your idea" he said.

"I don't want to hear any more of this" Adelaide raised her voice. "Get out"

Her legs shook so bad, she could only pray they wouldn't give in.

"You don't want to hear the truth, you mean" Dominic said.

"I said get out" Adelaide shouted.

Dominic spun around and reached out for the doorknob. Adelaide didn't let herself feel relieved yet.

"It's a shame your friends are dead in Shinama for nothing" he said.

A wave of confusion hit Adelaide. Who was in Shinama? Why hadn't Victoria told her? How did Dominic know? She couldn't let her ignorance show.