Chapter 37 - Dominic

Adelaide stood in front of the mirror in her dressing room wearing a look of resigned failure. Though she looked miserable there was a tragic radiance about her. This was the real Adelaide. Not the violent angry warrior queen who wore Concordian blue. This Adelaide who wore a white camisole dress, prepared to lay her life down for a greater cause. This was the real Adelaide.

As Dominic let the shadows fall, he walked into the dressing room. Adelaide didn't flinch. She knew he was there. Even when he was hidden by the shadows, she could sense he was there.

Dominic lifted the blue pendant that sat on her desk and placed it around her neck. As he did the clasp at the back, she didn't recoil. Not once. Her breathing was steady and there was no fear in her eyes. Adelaide was strong. Maybe if she survived this...Maybe there could be a future for them...No. Dominic pushed the thought to the back of his mind. Adelaide might've loved him once but now there was only hatred burning in her eyes.

Adelaide turned around with tears glistening in her eyes. It was wasn't supposed to be like this. She was supposed to be happy.

"Please don't hurt Anya" Adelaide whispered.

Dominic's annoyance flared up again.

"Why do you care so much about this child? She isn't yours" Dominic said.

"I know...but...sometimes when I look at her, I think about what could've been" Adelaide said. "Don't you ever wonder what our child would've been like?"

Dominic's heart twisted. Did he think about it? He never stopped thinking about it.

"Adelaide, don't torture yourself. That day was an accident. One I would take back if I could".

Adelaide was silent for a moment. Then she said:

"You've already won. Just let Anya go" Adelaide said.

"I can't. Then there's nothing to stop you from running away again" Dominic said. "Or worse. Attacking me".

"I won't" Adelaide protested. "I won't hurt you. I couldn't-"

"That's not what you were saying when you stabbed me" Dominic shouted.

His patience was wearing thin. Adelaide was just stalling for time now. What were her idiotic friends planning?

"I think it's time to go now" Dominic said, opening the closet next to the dressing table. "But first I have something for you".

Dominic took an Enchanter's staff out of the closet and handed it to Adelaide. She accepted it with a twinkle of amazement in her eyes. No matter how much Adelaide rejected the Enchanter professions, she couldn't resist an Enchanter's staff. Especially one that had been crafted for her. The staff was gold with crystals adorning the sides. The wings at the top unfurled to reveal a crescent moon on its side. Finally it was topped off with an amethyst in the centre of the moon.

As Adelaide wrapped her fingers tightly around her staff, something on her hand caught Dominic's eye, something that sparkled in the light. He grabbed her hand and sure enough it was the wedding ring he gave to her all those years ago. Adelaide's momentarily horrified expression changed to a cool indifference. She jerked her hand away and slipped the ring off her finger.

"You can keep that" Adelaide said handing her wedding ring to Dominic. "It's not like it means anything anyway".

Dominic clutched the ring tightly in his hand. As Adelaide strode down the hallway to her destiny, he realised with a shock, he still loved her. When he was with her he felt like he could be more, was more than Erebus. More than the wanted criminal who caused mass destruction and pain. He was just plain Dominic. An ordinary man who just wanted unity for the Peaceland kingdoms.

There was a part of him that still wanted to protect Adelaide, to make her happy but Dominic knew that wasn't possible now. Not with what needed to be done. Still when he saw Adelaide crestfallen expression as she headed towards the lift, he felt an unpleasant sensation in the pit of his stomach. Guilt? It shouldn't be possible to feel any emotion that strongly after the spell the Enchanters put on him.

A few days before he raided the AIA HQ, Dominic hired five Enchanters from Yu Haan to put a permanent spell on him. With the rare alloy xenocidus (made from sanguis angelorum and titanium) the Enchanters were able to make his body stronger. Dominic's bones were now as strong as aircraft wings, his senses were sharper, and his body quickly healed itself. He was practically indestructible. But it came at a price. The Enchanters warned that he might not feel emotions strongly as before. Dominic dismissed it and he didn't have much time to dwell on it during the process which involved the Enchanters carving lines on his body with blades enchanted with both seraphic magic and infernal magic. Xenocidus was the only metal that was capable of being charged with both at the same time.

It was a good thing Dominic didn't heed the Enchanter's warning because every time he looked at Adelaide his heart twisted.

On the way to the exit door, Dominic stopped one of servants.

"Release the girl. Make sure she gets back to her mother" Dominic said.

Adelaide pushed the door open and turned around.

"Thank you" she said quietly.

In her eyes there was no hatred, no anger, no sadness, only a genuine relief. In that moment, he knew with absolute certainty that losing her again would destroy him.

And so we hear from Erebus himself. Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.