Chapter 23 - Adelaide

After her verdict, Adelaide was rushed back to her cell. The cell that was smaller than a wardrobe and stank of human misery. In the cell next to hers, Kiyan sat in the corner, hunched over.

"You'd think you were the one that had been given the death sentence" Adelaide said as she stepped inside her cell.

Kiyan looked up.

"They gave you the death sentence?"

"They let me off with a prison term if I help them find Dominic. I wouldn't even know where to start looking" Adelaide said.

Kiyan was silent for a moment, the he said:

"You have to look at it from their point of view. It looks suspicious. I mean you still wear your wedding ring".

Adelaide twisted the ring around her finger and almost wished Rosaline had never found it.

"I wear it to remind me of who I was, and why I must never go back" Adelaide said.

Kiyan's eyebrows rose and he nodded but looked blank.

"I don't expect you to understand" Adelaide spat out.

"Why? Do you think you're the only one who regrets things, who's been treated badly?"

"Of course not" Adelaide exclaimed. "I just feel like people judge me before they even know me. Before they've even heard my story"

"Well, tell them"

"Who would listen?"

"I would"

Adelaide tried to gauge his expression but it was too dark to see. Was he joking? She sank down to the ground, took a deep shaky breath and said:

"People don't understand how I could marry someone like Dominic, but he wasn't always like that. Sure he always wanted to change the world, but for the better. I really believed in him. That's why I helped him create those awful creatures".

"But how do you justify killing people?" Kiyan asked.

"I thought that was the only way" Adelaide protested. "Dominic was very convincing and I was young. I don't think I even fully understood the consequences of what I was doing"

"Maybe they'll let you off with it considering you were a minor at the time" Kiyan said.

"I appreciate your optimism but this is Amiticia we're talking about. I bet the king can't wait to see me dead" Adelaide said.

Kiyan's eyes widened in alarm.

"Oh the king and I...we're good friends" Adelaide smiled grimly.

Adelaide was tired of being questioned. Questioned by Brenda, questioned by the AIA. Most of all because having her past dragged up was making her nightmares resurface. There was nothing more embarrassing than waking up screaming when a hundred ears could hear her. Tonight was no better. She didn't want to fall asleep. Didn't want to face the darkness again. But soon she was face to face with the shadows and even when she pulled herself out she couldn't breathe. Couldn't stop the tears.

Adelaide sat up and looked across her neighbouring cell. With the help of the moonlight, she could just see Kiyan. He was growing thinner by the day and the bright spark in his eyes was fading. After knowing nothing but Elysium, the jail was really taking its toll on him. Why hadn't they released Kiyan? Adelaide told and them again and again he nothing to do with Erebus, or the caveam or Adelaide's past. He was just a kid really. A kid who got mixed up in some dark business.

She'd hoped he wasn't awake. Hoped he hadn't heard her cry. Adelaide lay back on the cold damp gravel and forced her eyes shut.

"Are you okay? Kiyan asked.