Chapter 20 - Kiyan

Kiyan watched as the ash fell around him, coating the trees like a blanket. He walked in the direction of the sun, because it was the only thing that made sense to him anymore. That and the fact he needed to get home. Now. His sister would be waiting for him. Every night he would read her a bedtime story and she would fall asleep and he would rest easy knowing she was safe. That was the protection Elysium could offer. It was his sanctuary, but also his prison. 

Now that he was free, it felt good to breathe in the fresh air. Kiyan wanted to climb a tree, swim in a lake and shout from the highest mountain. The sense of freedom and possibility overwhelmed him. The excitement of a new adventure slowly ebbed away as something jarred him. Kiyan had a nagging feeling something was wrong.

He walked on and found people lying unconscious. The panic began to settle in. He recognised the brown uniforms they wore. He was wearing the same. Kiyan was one of these people. But he ran because...

Then he saw her. She too was covered in ash but her uniform was an unmistakable blue. The blue marked her as an enemy. But when her eyes landed on him, she laughed and said:

"I think my amnesia spell worked a little too well".

The picture of the last few day started to form in his mind like fragments of a broken mirror. The failed escape attempt. His escape with Adelaide. Terry...Terry.

Kiyan looked around nervously and spotted Terry about fifteen yards away from him. He pretended as he didn't notice him. Kiyan had no intentions of waking him up, but Adelaide might. She seemed to think they were friends.

Adelaide stood up shakily. She put a hand on his shoulder to steady herself and then pretended she was brushing some dust off his jacket. She then smiled and walked on. Did Adelaide Wicardowen go out of her way to be the most infuriating human being on the planet or was she just a natural?

"You seem to be going out your way to prove you don't need help" Kiyan called after her as he followed her.

"That's because I don't. I can take care of myself" Adelaide snapped.

"I can see that" Kiyan said dryly.

"Good"

"Have you ever thought that maybe needing help every once in a while doesn't mean you weak?"

"Have you ever thought about being quiet?" Adelaide retorted.

Kiyan felt a twinge of annoyance. He knew Adelaide was difficult back in the camp but she had every right to be. But out here he was trying to help her. Adelaide was being ridiculously rude to him and he was fed up.

Neither of them spoke until they reached a lake. Kiyan crouched down and splashed water on his face. Adelaide hung back.

"What's wrong? Is the water not clean enough for you, your highness?" Kiyan said.

Adelaide looked faintly annoyed and reluctantly stepped forward. Kiyan cupped water in his hand and splashed Adelaide with it. She flinched and he wanted to kick himself.

"I'm sorry. I completely forgot" he said.

Adelaide gritted her teeth and her eyes flared. Her foot connected with his back sending him diving into the lake. For a moment Kiyan was completely doused. The water washed over him, filling his ears and mouth. He felt choked and light and the same time. Kiyan kicked and pushed until he reached the top. Just in time to see Adelaide walk away.

"Have fun finding your own way out of here" she called.

"Hey I didn't mean any offence" Kiyan cried. "Have a sense of humour".