Chapter 10 - Adelaide

Adelaide missed the sun. How long had she been underground? It seemed like an eternity. The little girl with the curly red hair, Anya visited her every day, bringing food and medicine. Adelaide was grateful for the company but the food and/or the medicine made her sick. Very tactful. Poison the prisoners so they are weak - too weak to fight back.

Adelaide tried to hide the repulsion when Anya walked in the room with a silver tray. Anya was a sweet girl who meant no harm. She probably didn't know the truth of what was happening. Anya lived in the safe bubble that was Elysium. Adelaide could only hope she never ventured further.

The door opened and Brenda stood at the doorway with a disapproving scowl set on Anya.

"Now Anya. You know you're not supposed to talk to prisoners" Brenda said.

Anya jumped up. "I'm sorry mummy".

Mummy? Anya slunk out the room. Brenda crossed her arms as if she was about to scold Adelaide.

"I heard about your little incident" Brenda said. "It's a shame you're unwilling to cooperate".

"No offence, lady, but I think you underestimated me" Adelaide continued to glare at Brenda.

Brenda rolled her eyes. "Does anything original ever come out your mouth?"

Adelaide shrugged. "I guess I'm just a lowly Enchanter. Why am I even worth your time?"

"I see so much potential in you Adelaide. If only you'd give up your petty act. Working for that silly corporation of yours – what do you hope to achieve? Certainly not peace or a better world. You just completely destroy the cause as opposed to addressing the problem".

"Isn't that what you're doing to Enchanters? Killing them instead of facing them?"

Brenda narrowed her eyes and her mouth turned into a deep scowl.

"No, no. I'm simply...guiding the Enchanters" she said.

Adelaide snorted. "Guiding them? Well, you won't guiding me anywhere".

Brenda looked saddened. "I'd hope you'd change your mind. I understand, you're still in shock. I think you need some time to let the anger...thaw away".

And with one gesture from Brenda, the guards took Adelaide back to Cocytus. She knew from the direction they were headed. Out the tunnels from Elysium and down the tunnels to the right.

The prisoners whooped and cheered when they saw Adelaide. But instead of the guards leaving her there they advanced through to another room. Adelaide held her breath. She knew what was beyond Cocytus. She had heard the guards discuss Tartarus before. She had seen Enchanters go in there. They never came back out.

Adelaide felt relieved when she walked in and the room was full of canned goods. The coldness tickled her skin. That nothing unusual. But this room felt much colder. Adelaide had barely enough time to register she was in a freezer when the door slammed shut behind her. She pounded on the door, but it was bolted shut.

Adelaide tried to draw magic from the earth but found it was resistant. No matter how much she willed it, the magic did not rush to her fingertips. That was new. The cold almost seemed to be coming from the walls and the air tasted metallic – like lead. Lead. Lead stunted an Enchanter's magic.

Adelaide felt like her soul had been stripped from her. She'd never been without magic. She hated to admit it, but it was more than just a safety net. Now she would have to make out of there alone. Completely unaided.

Whilst searching for something to hurl at the door other than tins of food, Adelaide found a thermostat. That was almost too easy. She attempted to turn the switch but it wouldn't budge. She pulled and pushed but it didn't give way. Not even a tiny bit. She finally smashed it with the palm of her hand. It crumbled and fell to the floor in pieces. Adelaide doubted it even worked in the first place.

This was an endurance test. There would be no easy way out. Adelaide would just have to grit her teeth and get on with it. They wouldn't leave her here to die. Brenda needed her, Erebus needed her. But if they thought they could scare her into raising a demon they had another thing coming. Frankly, she rather die here, interred in her bitter tomb.

Adelaide pulled her blanket closer and shivered. It wasn't so much a blanket as it was a white sheet she found draped over some food. Her eyes felt heavy but she refused to close them. She tried to control her breathing, but it came out as fast and panicked.

Finally, the door was heaved open and the guards stepped in. Adelaide attempted to stand up but her legs wobbled and her arms floundered. The ice had gotten to her bones. She fumbled and used the wall to lean against as she stood up.

"I think she has hypothermia" Officer Cadalian announced.

"Maybe it will teach her not to be so damn stubborn" Mirosson replied. "So are we still on the AIA's side?"

Adelaide felt sleep tug at her eyes but she held his gaze.

"I don't take sides, I just do the right thing".

"Is she for real?" Mirosson laughed. "When are you going to wake up and realise all your efforts to stop the cleansing is futile. Your people have caused too much hassle and it ends here".

The cleansing? Had Brenda mentioned that? Adelaide was having a hard time focussing. Her thoughts were fading, becoming less coherent by the minute. She did not succumb to the darkness, it dragged her in, like a whirlpool drags its victim to the drowning.

Adelaide woke up on cold slab. She was awake but still shrouded in darkness. Something covered her face. A blindfold? She attempted to stand up but found her wrists bound by rope.

"I have tried again and again, but there is just no reasoning with you" Brenda said. "Don't feel too bad for caving in. Everyone has a weakness".

Adelaide felt herself being tipped backwards and a wall of water hit her. It felt like crashing into a brick wall. Water filled her mouth. She thrashed and kicked but the rope did not give way.

"I'll ask you again" Brenda said. "Don't make me make you sign a blood oath".

I'm not signing anything! Adelaide wanted to scream but the breath would not come. Gasping air, Adelaide shook her head vigorously.

"Fine" Brenda said. Adelaide could almost see Brenda pursing her lips and folding her arms.

Another wave hit Adelaide and she gripped onto the edge of the board as if gripping onto the thin threads of life. Her whole body shivered.

One of the guards clipped something onto her wrist. A low hum echoed through the room and then a sharp pain sliced its way up Adelaide's arm. She cried out in pain before she could stop herself.

"Increase the voltage" Brenda said.

A second round of electricity coursed through Adelaide making her whole body spasm out of control. She didn't know how much longer she could take. Her heart pounded so fast she was surprised it didn't give up. With each new surge of electricity, she prayed that her heart would just give out.

The guards whispered to each other. Adelaide couldn't make out what they were saying. Her own sobs were too loud. The pain was the only thing she could focus on. Her thought were becoming hazy and slowly drifting away.

"Stop" Officer Cadalian cried. "This doesn't prove anything. There are hundreds of other Enchanters who would do the summoning without all this".

"Son, sometimes things need to be done in...an unpleasant way. But-"

"No. I'm tired of you sugar-coating everything. This is sick no matter which way you spin it" he replied.

There was a long pause. Adelaide wished she could have seen Brenda's expression.

"Release her. Take her back to her room" Brenda finally said. "You've always been too soft for your own good, son".

And with that, Adelaide was taken back to her room. Although she was chilled to the bone and ached all over, Adelaide didn't feel too beaten down. Something Brenda had said stuck with her. Everyone has a weakness. And it was true. Even Brenda had a weakness - Her son.

If you were trapped in an underground, what would you miss most of all? Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.