Chapter 36 - Rosaline

Rosaline's nightmares were full of creatures from the pits of hell. Little did she know when she woke up she would be entering another nightmare. Rosaline was just so relieved when the fog cleared and she remembered her mission. A quick gaze around the room told her that everyone else went through the same nightmare as her.

Adelaide stood in the middle of the room looking defeated. It was like seeing a flower wilting. When its petals have crisped and fell off, and its use worn out. Just a sad drooping flower. That's how Adelaide looked as she stepped away from the dark screen. What was it she could have possibly seen?

"Adelaide was just telling me about the summoning" Dominic said. "Weren't you dear?"

Adelaide didn't have any retorts. She didn't even look angry, if anything she looked like she was going to be sick.

"You don't have to do anything, Adelaide" Rosaline said.

"I don't have any choice" Adelaide said. Even her voice sounded deflated.

"She signed a blood oath" Dominic said. "Adelaide's seen what breaking blood oaths can do".

Victoria marched forward, her sword at the ready. Then she stabbed the ground, creating veins of fire spreading across the room. Springing to action, Adelaide threw her hands up, creating a block defence. The fire fizzled out, the threat extinguished.

"No. stop. It will only make it worse" Adelaide shouted. "It will be okay".

Rosaline couldn't believe her ears. Was Adelaide under a spell?

"I can't believe you're even considering doing the summoning. Think how many people will be killed" Rosaline protested.

Her vacant expression was enough to make Rosaline worried.

"I'll call them off once the monarchies step down. There will be minimal casualties" Adelaide said.

"Minimal Casualties?" Rosaline exclaimed. "What have you done to her?" she shouted to Dominic.

"Nothing" Adelaide said. "Everything will be fine. Trust me".

The Falcons were herded outside to a nearby field where seats had been set up. Dominic wanted the Falcons to watch the summoning. As if to rub his victory in their faces.

Rosaline sat on the bench, the absurdity of the situation began to settle in. Unless Adelaide had a trick up her sleeve, they would mostly likely die in this field. It occurred to Rosaline that the field looked like a stadium. A child's imaginary version of one. The field was full of brown wheat and old scarecrows. It looked like a farm with no animals. The only sign of life was the distant thrumming from the ugly warehouse.

When Dominic's followers started pouring out of the building, Rosaline felt like fainting. They all wore ordinary working clothes: faded denim dungarees and shirts but there was something unhuman about them. For one, they all seemed to move in unison. Two, they all wore the same blank expression, like Penelope. Were they all possessed?

The group sat in silence. Too afraid to move.

"Maybe it will be okay" Kiyan said. "If Adelaide can send the demons back to their realm before any real damage. Everything will be fine".

Rosaline considered this. This seemed like a hope more than something that could actually happen. Still Rosaline clung to that little string of hope.

"That won't work" Victoria said.

"Adelaide won't be able to send the demons back?" Kiyan asked.

"No. She will" Victoria said. "But it will most certainly kill her".

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.