Chapter 14

Jackie's POV

There is a crash from downstairs as I lay on my small bed in the dark, only accompanied by a small night light plugged into the wall. There is an eery silence that follows and my heart races in my chest.

Nothing follows the bang, and thinking my dad had gotten up in the middle of the night, get our from under the covers and head to my closed bedroom door.

On the back of my door hangs a mirror, and I'm surprised to see my twenty five year old self looking back at me, my seven year old self. I reach out to the mirror, but my reflection does not move.

My heart lurches at what I know is waiting for me downstairs. Having the same dream over and over could do that to you.

I open my bedroom door, hearing the same creak as every time before, including the time in real life.

As I walk down the hall and reach the top of the stairs, the same ruffling noise is heard from the kitchen below me.

And as my small feet patter quickly down the steps, determined to stop what I know is destined to happen, I know deep down inside I can't.

It's the same flash of brown hair that I see falling to the floor and the same sickening thud.

The same shade of red and the same glint of a blade, held by a dark shadow. I haven't been able to make out the face of it, that is until now. After eighteen years.