Chapter 39

Jackie's POV

"Dean! I don't know what more we can possibly do! You heard her- there's nothing!"

We had finally left Aerona's house and were back at the motel. I would be lying if I said all was well. Because truthfully, Aerona was our last chance at figuring out Azrael and his plans. From Bobby's high recommendation of Aerona, we we went in thinking she'd be able to accomplish just that. Instead, we walked out with a crap load of nothing. Now we would have to relay this to Bobby, who, back in Sioux Falls, was still awaiting a happy, positive update over the phone.

If I were him, I wouldn't have been expecting much in the first place.

Sam and I both sit at the small table in front of the window. Dean was back in the same green recliner as last night, slouching in a similar manner. But instead of joking around, he, Sam, and I were in the midst of a serious discussion.

"That doesn't mean you should just give up."

"I never said I was," I argue back, beyond stressed. Dean and I had been going on like this for a solid five minutes, and we were getting nowhere. Sam sits quietly, not interrupting due to the simple fact that it would be utterly useless to even try.

"All I'm saying is that instead of risking the whole freaking world just for the sake of helping me, we should be figuring out what Azrael is doing. We know next to nothing." I pause, giving a careful look to both boys. "Look, I can solve my own problems on my own time, but there won't be any time left if Azrael gets what he wants. You do realize that, right? I'd think the end-of-the-world vibes would feel similar."

The two of them stay uncharacteristically quiet, crossing their arms.

"We just want you to be safe, Jackie," Sam says.

I can't help but let out a laugh. "Its a little late for that. Like, twenty five years too late. That's what you get for living this life," I end, raising my eyebrows to make a point.

"Look, I don't know what kind of deal you made with Bobby to keep me safe. Maybe he's threatening you- I wouldn't doubt it- but whatever it is, you guys don't need to help me. I'd be fine on my own." I make eye contact with Dean then Sam, holding both their looks for a few seconds in order to get them to understand me.

I would be fine on my own. I'm one of the best hunters across the board- I think I know what I'm doing. Even with Azrael on my ass constantly.

"You don't have to be alone, Jackie. I don't know where you ever got that idea, but it's completely wrong. You've got Bobby, and you've got Sam and I. And no- Bobby isn't threatening us, we didn't make any deals- we just want to help you because we care about you."

"Yeah, well," I mumble to the floor, taking in Deans words carefully.

"Bobby's expecting me in tip-top shape when we get back. And when he finds out that I'm not and that I'm probably not going to be for a while, he's certainly not going to just drop it and get on with our bigger problems."

"So somebody needs to call him and tell him everything," I continue. "We are not spending any more time on me, not with Azrael still out there. And it's not gonna be me to call, he won't listen to me."

I pick up Dean's phone from the table and toss it to him. He catches it in his hands and looks down at it expectantly. After a moment, a remark of protest comes him.

"Woah. Wait, no. Not me," he argues, pointing to himself. "Sam, you do it."

He throws his phone back across the room to Sam, who catches it before it hits the table. He glares back at Dean.