Chapter 46

Dean's POV

Sam's presence next to me is the only thing that stays the same as my body is torn from the dark, cold warehouse and is thrown into an all white room. The angel, Sariel, and the other man let go of our arms and disappear just as quickly as they had appeared.

I squint my sore eyes against the bright light around me, not being able to see anything. All I notice is the crimson color staining my hands and my jacket, and my boots and jeans. Its everywhere.

I don't bother looking up, that is until I hear a mutter from Sam.

When I glance over at him through my sore, puffy eyes, I take in his almost identical state to mine. I also notice our new surroundings, mainly the familiarity of it all.

"We're in heaven," Sam says, his voice full of exasperation.

I didn't need Sam's words to confirm what I already knew. The sterile white walls and floors. The old furniture. The stupid harp in one corner.

We were definitely in heaven.

"Sam. Dean."

A deep voice sounds from behind us, and it takes every piece of strength left in me to turn around and face him. Him, the one who I needed just two minutes ago, and who never showed up.

The one who was sitting here the whole time doing nothing.

"You son of a bitch." I face Cas, him standing there in his normal attire, looking as put together as usual, but his face more solemn and defeated than normal.

He knows.

He knows she's dead.

"Where were you?" I yell at him. He doesn't answer.

His silence lets loose the rest of my anger. All of my pain turns into frustration and I need it gone. I don't want it. I can't take it.

"Where. Were. You."

"I couldn't come," he says quietly. Nothing more. And it pisses me off.

It takes me only one step and then I find my fist connecting with his face, blind with anger.

She's dead.

"She's dead, Cas! Where were you? You could've saved her!"

I ignore the fact that the angel barely moves from my punch, and the only one of us actually getting hurt is myself. I shove him with both hands, and he steps back, face full of dispair.

He looks terrible.

So I was surprised when he actually grabs my wrists and slams me into the wall behind him, holding me there with barely any effort.

"I was here, Dean. The whole time. I couldn't leave no matter how much I wanted to. I heard your calls, every single one of them but I was here, because do you know what happened? Azrael took control of heaven. He is our new God. And we are stuck here, Dean. He is in control and the angels can't leave. I can't leave."

I stare into the angel's eyes.

"What?" I ask, wondering how this could be. "No, he couldn't have."

"Yes. He did."

I watch as his anger falls into defeat and he soon lets me go, looking at me apologetically. I don't move away from the wall. Instead I lean against it, next to some elaborate painting with gold framing and stare at my feet.

"Now what? We just sit here then?" Sam speaks up from his spot across the room. I look over at him and see a streak of blood across his cheek, but instead of panicking at the sight of it, I have to will my heart to keep beating.