Chapter 45

Sam's POV

I stare at the blood.

There's so much blood. Everywhere.

On her hands. On my hands. Dean's hands. On our knees as we kneel next to her.

On her lips.

Everywhere.

And everything hurts. There's pain in her face and on Dean's. In her eyes that stare blankly at us.

And in my heart. There's so much pain and I can't take it. I want her to sit up and slap our hands away and laugh at us for crying like teenage girls. I want her to get up and we could drive away, back to Bobby's, back to where we could pretend everything was okay. She'd hug her dog, then Bobby even tighter. And we'd be happy.

We'd be the most randomly put together family there ever was.

If she'd just get up.

It hurts. Like crazy.

The sound of Dean's voice is too much. I don't pay any more attention to anything except her cold hand in mine, squeezing it as I find myself repeating the words "its okay" to her, even though its not.

I don't even hear the angel wings behind us. I only notice the three figures behind us once a blue flash lights up their silhouettes on the wall.

For a split second, barely even a full one, I let myself give hope that it was Cas. He came and he'd fix everything. Jackie would be okay.

That was all blown to hell when I'm thrown to the side. Then Dean to the other. I find a man standing over me, holding me down with his foot on my neck, and behind him, I see Dean in the same position, held by a different man.

"Winchesters," the man above me mumbles, giving me a sneer.

A third figure walks between Dean and I on the ground, right up to Jackie's body. He bends down, face hidden from us in the dark, and touches Jackie's cheek with a hand.

Dean kicks out at the figure holding him down, mumbling an alarming amount of curse words into the dark. I'd be surprised, but I find myself doing the same thing in anger. I only stop when the man makes it hard to breathe.

"Let them be," the third man says as he continues to touch Jackie's face with his fingertips. "We'll need them later."

The foot on my throat doesn't loosen up. "You bitch..." I grimace. "Who.. are-"

Fighting for air, I grit the words through my teeth, but all my anger, all my pain and hatred stops for a moment when that third man finally turns around. Dean and I see his face, and what was left of myself in my heart just shatters.

"Azrael! You son of a bitch! You killed her-" Dean growls from the ground. He doesn't get to finish his sentence before a shot rings out. Then another.

I hardly have time to realize it was my gun, in my own hand, which had pulled the trigger. Two shots: one for the angel holding me down, the other for Azrael.

And when I see the handle of a sword peeking out from behind the other angel's shoulder, all my anger is set loose. That's the weapon. Every single bullet is fired right at him. I barely notice the fact that the bullets hitting each angel doesn't do a single thing to them.

The clatter of a blade scraping the ground then a scream follows the six consecutive shots. Then there's a booming yell.

"Stop it!"

My back is shoved against a wall and I fall back to the floor. My gun is sent through the air, and as Dean falls next to me, his angel blade clatters to our feet. It wasn't even a foot away, yet neither of us could grab it. We were held in our spots by an unforgiving and invisible force.

"You ignorant little- I should just kill you and-" Through his anger, Azrael couldn't even finish a sentence.

"Sir, we need them-" one of the other angels begins. But Azrael picks up the angel blade from the ground, holding it up in the air, pointing it right at him.

"One more word, Sariel. One. More."

The angel stays quiet.

He turns back to Dean and I, looking down at us in anger. "We meet again." Without another word, he kneels back down over Jackie. He places two fingers back on her forehead, then takes a deep breath in, seeming to hold on to it. He doesn't move or say anything.

"Get away from her!" Dean yells. Azrael ignores him and Dean kicks out again, frustrated. One look through my own tears at my brother's face tells me everything I needed to know. It makes everything that has been running through my head official.

Jackie was dead.

Azrael got what he wanted.

We lost, and he won.

"She's ready," Azrael whispers. He suddenly stands up and faces his two men. "Take them to the others. Keep them there. Do not let them out of your sight."

With that, he looks us both in the eyes once. Then, he bends down, picks up Jackie's body, and disappears.

"No!" I yell with Dean. As soon as Azrael disappears, our holds are let loose and we scrambl to get up. Barely standing on my own two feet, one man lunges at me and grabs my arms. The other goes for Dean.

And before I can shove him away, the dark and cold surroundings of the abandoned building merge into a new, bright and pristine one. One I've seen before.

One glance at the elaborate furniture and the taunting harp in the corner is all I need. I look to Dean next to me, who, with the same angry and confused face as mine, gives the room a look-around. He catches my eyes and I can tell he knows where we are, too.

We were in heaven.