Chapter 23

Jackie's POV

I'm running. My breaths become short and choppy, and my lungs burn from exertion. Black boots crunch on the leaves beneath my feet, moving through the motions of leaping over branches and splashing through mud without me even thinking of doing so.

My heart flutters at a sound behind me. I don't know what it is, but I can't even force myself to turn around and find out. Blood rushes through my ears and I only hear the pounding of my heart.

Even though I can't control my actions, I feel myself beginning to freak out as the crashing behind me grows louder. The same words run through my mind. "Go."

"Go, go, go.'"

Before I can wonder any more if I'm having an out of body experience or something of that sort, my body gets jerked back as arms wrap around me. I fall to the ground, but just as my knees hit the ground, everything goes black. I hear only a scream-

My dry throat burns as I scream and launch myself up violently. I begin panicking, having no idea where I am or what was happening.

My hands are restrained, and I vigorously try to rip my arms out from under whatever was holding me down. Getting one hand loose, I start to grab for the other, but stop when I realize its only the sheets of my bed tangled in my grasp.

A blinding light all of the sudden washes over my face, and I squint my eyes, pulling myself up into a ball in order to block out the light.

"Jackie?"

I slowly uncover my sight as my eyes become adjusted to the light. I begin to make out the silhouette of Dean in the doorway, standing in sweatpants and a t shirt, holding a gun in one hand and with Zeke at his feet. Zeke runs in and jumps up on the bed, sitting next to me and shoving his nose in my face, reassuring himself that I'm okay. I'm safe, safe at Bobby's.

I let out a huff of air, trying to catch my breath. Dean notices my squinting eyes and closes the door in order to block out the light from the hallway. He heads over to me and sits down on the edge of the bed. Zeke wags his tail at him, and Dean scratches him behind the ear with a small smile.

"Bad dream?" he asks, his voice a bit rough from the early hours of the morning. He lightly sets the gun he brought with him down on the nightstand after switching on the safety.

"Yeah." My voice is quiet and my throat hurts from the sudden use of it at three in the morning.

I rest my head on Zeke's and let out a deep breath. "Did Cas ever answer you?"

"No. I guess he's busier than he let on."

When we got back to Bobby's earlier last night, both Sam and Dean tried to contact Cas. Now that we had confirmation that Azrael is really going through with his plan, we needed Cas's help to find out everything about this angel of death and what he was up to with the Garrison. So far, he hadn't shown up.

I scoot up and lean against my pillow at the head of the bed. I lean back against the wall with Zeke resting against my legs. "You think he'll be able to help? It doesn't seem like these angels know what they're doing."

Dean laughs at that. "Angels are... they're not the greatest to work with. But we'll figure it out. Cas is always willing to help."

"Cas isnt like other angels is he?" I wonder aloud. "You said angels were complete dicks, but he seems to care about you and Sam."

Dean leans back on the pillow next to me. "He's got a heart, and that's what makes him different, I guess. But yes, most angels are dicks."

Dean launches into a story on how Cas had first shown up to them, how he lost his grace and how he coped as a human. I find myself chuckling at some points- especially the part where Dean tried to save Cas from his status as a virgin- yet the feeling of amusement is weird after not having it for so long.